Monday, March 8, 2010

New Camera Take 2 + Tempo Time

Wednesday morning I was a woman on a mission.  Mission:  Replace digital camera.  Well I suppose the mission actually began with some research Tuesday night.  I scoured Walmart/Target/Best Buy for their cheapest digital cameras (as mine seem to have a 4 month life, apparently).  As Slomohusky gracefully put it, "Uh...you're kind of hard on cameras..."  YUP!  Mental note:  Camera's do not like to be dropped.  I was planning on having a fun weekend with the boy toy, and have a race next weekend, so no time to spare before getting a new camera.  Lucky for me, I saw my exact same camera, but 50 bones cheaper. 

Now you may think it's silly to buy a camera that broke after 4 months of use.  Well if you had saw how hard I had dropped the camera on Saturday, you'd be impressed the thing was still in one piece.  "I am She-Ra Warrior Princess!!"  Or something like that.  My logic was:  a) already have a memory card b) extra battery and charger and c) back up parts!  Ok, seriously I hope it doesn't come to C because then I officially suck-o at life-o.  Before work I headed to Walmart to pick up my new BFF.  Did you know that they don't staff the electronic section at 7:30am?  Well now you do.  Of course as soon as I got to my car, I had to check out my pictures from Saturday night's shenanigans that led to said camera distruction.  As promised, please enjoy.

I thought the randomness of this one looked similar to a pic in the opening credits of HIMYM so I played around with the coloring a bit.
Yes, I'm getting bunny ears at the age of 26. My friends are mature. Who am I kidding, if they were, I wouldn't be friends with them. :p

Wednesday night I had a tempo run on tap.  All day long I had thought it was a 7 mile run, silly Jerbear, it's actually 8.  That seems kind of long, no?  Then I got to thinking about it....I completed a full 13.1 miles at a quicker pace.  I should be able to handle 6 tempo miles.  Genius.  

Anyways, I hopped to the gym wearing the least amount of clothes possible that would still allow me admittance to the fitness facility.  Best believe that if I had the body for it, I would be wearing a sports bra and bun huggers a la college track & XC studs to eliminate attempt to eliminate my excessive sweating during these tough runs.  None the less, I did dig out a very light running tank to aid in the not-sweat-so-much department.

My goal pace for the tempo miles was 8:40.  After my warm up, I was off and feeling good.  I don't know what my deal is by lately my tempo runs have been feeling awesome (yes count that up to jinxing my next one fo sho).  I do this fun little trick where I convince myself I have one less mile to run than I really do, since my final mile never "counts" because its the one that I get to go all out in.  Doesn't make sense when I type it out, but it tricks my brain like no other.  The unfortunate part about tempo runs is that after the "I don't quite count final tempo mile" there is still an easy cool-down mile a-creepin'.  Luckily I had a celebrity mag to read while I was clomping along.  Yes, I officially feel like I "clomp" when I run at that speed.  It's attrocious.

I ended up doing 8 miles in 1:11:01 (ten seconds slower and I could've been sooooo cooooool, drat).  My pace for the run was 8:58 and my pace for the tempo miles was 8:36.  Uh..heck yes.  My hammies were tiiiiiiight during that final mile so I made sure to stretch extra well afterwards.

My treat for an excellent tempo run?  Coldstone ice cream.  If I was a food blogger, I would insert my glorious foodie picture here, but instead I just ate it.  Yummy tummy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, dang, 8 miles at that pace, you TOTALLY deserve some delish ice-cream :)

Anonymous said...

Coldstone is the PERFECT post-run treat - plus you get the protein from the milk, no? ;)

Heather said...

Awesome tempo run. I think that last cool down mile is the worst! Last Wednesday, I just wanted to crawl on the side of the road and die instead of run that slow mile.

I haven't had coldstone in forever . . . yum.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Way to go on your run! I loved the bunny ears :-)

Nicci said...

I used to break more camera then anything when I was in highschool. I don't know how I've only gone through 2 since food blogging. lol

Glenn Jones said...

Coldstone? You're not tapering yet!

That's a nice camera. I almost got one when I got mine. If it oesn;t work, then the next time you might consider the Olympus Tough series. They are a little more expensive, but they are waterproof and shockproof. Believe me. I have sweated mone to death and have dropped it on the run and it still works....

misszippy said...

You and my husband would get along just fine...he is a pro and ruining our cameras! Cold Stone sounds good...

Aron said...

thats the same camera i have!! :)

Unknown said...

great tempo run. great camera. great friends...love the bunny ears. :)