Friday, July 30, 2010

Occasionally Procrastination Pays

After doing some major rearranging with my running schedule this week to accommodate my social life, I had vowed to wake up and do my tempo run before work on Thursday.  Thursday morning hit and there was no where I'd rather be than in my big ol' comfy bed.  Two hours later it was time for work.  A quick look at the weather report and the ominous clouds in the sky, made me realize very quickly that I had made the wrong choice.  The skies opened up all day long.  I figured I was resigned to the treadmill for my tough ass tempo run.  When I left the office at 8pm, I was surprised that not only was it not pouring rain, but it was cool!  Like mid-60s cool.  Take that procrastination.

Because of the insane rain (good band name, no?) I had to run some "laps" around a parking lot about a mile from my place, because the trails were pretty well flooded.  That actually ended up working my favor because I was out running later (aka in much darker conditions) than I typically allow and this area is way better lit.  I'm a tough B, but probably not that tough.

I had 7 miles with 5 at tempo pace of 8:05.  I had originally created this training program off of a 23:00 5k (which I was sure I would get this summer).  Well I never got there, so I've been revamping my tempo times slightly so that I don't...uh...die.  Instead I gave myself 8:10-8:20.  This tempo run was 1000 times better than last week's.  Granted last week I had company, which was nice, but talking while trying to run hard, does not work.  Neither does running in intense heat and humidity (for me because I'm a total wuss).

I ended up having one of the best runs in a loooooooooong time, which makes me super excited about next weekend's Urban Wildland Half Marathon.  I'm going to attempt to chase down Alyssa for a PR if the weather permits.  If I've learned one thing this summer is that it's not worth it to try to PR in hellacious weather. :p

I did the 7 miles in 1:01:18 for a pace of 8:46.  Tempo pace--8:17.
1. 9:52

2. 8:06
3. 8:19
4. 8:17
5. 8:28
6. 8:17
7. 9:59


Apparently I run lopsided and only kick my right leg while traversing the mud.  Neat-o huh? :)

In other news (I use that as a lead in for a lot of my paragraphs, has anyone else noticed that?  Apparently I want to be a broadcaster....heh), I'm going to start the 365 Photo Project that you may or may not have heard of.  Basically you take one photo everyday for a year.  Sounds simple enough, but I imagine I'll hate myself more than twice in the 365 day span for taking on the project.  I'm very interested in photography, and have no training/education but it's something that I love, so I figure this will help expand my skills and give me the motivation to further education myself.  If anyone has any suggestions about this project, or what would be the best place to host the images (ie:  a blog, flikr, etc.) please let me know!  I'm starting August 1st, so nothing like leaving it to the last minute.  Procrastinators Unite....Tomorrow.  ;)

9 comments:

Evolving Through Running said...

Nice tempo run, and very nice consistency with the splits. I'm all over the place in my tempo runs from mile to mile. Still trying to train my legs to behave.

Lacey Bean said...

Glad to hear you're starting the 365 Project!!!! :) Hope to see all your pictures soon!

Lacey Bean said...

OH! And Flickr is great to host your pics... but it has an upload limit unless you get the pro version. I think its worth it!

Heather said...

Nice job on the tempo run! I have been too lazy to do tempo runs in the heat this summer. Must do that soon . . .

Susan said...

I love when people do the 365 picture thing...excited to see it!!

baker said...

yea photo project! im a photographer (for my J O B) so if you have any questions just hit me up. id use your blog for the photos, make a new 'link' or 'page' and add them by day.

Unknown said...

The 365 photo project sounds cool! Looking forward to seeing your photography skills develop over the course of time. -cw

Anonymous said...

That sounds like such a cool idea, can't wait to see your pictures.

Sad news: You won't be chasing me down, I'll be chasing you! My total mileage for the past two weeks = 16 miles .... yep. My leg was bothering me a lot so I had to take some time off. Let's hope biking alot = good conditioning for half marathons. haha. Anyways, I'm not expecting much this race but I'll giver all I got ;) We should talk details soon... Cannot WAIT!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

good luck with it all! be fun to see what you.