Thursday, March 28, 2019

Spring Race Plans REMIX

This winter has been a challenge here in the midwest. We had one of the coldest and snowiest winters that I can remember training through. It took almost the first 5 weeks of my "training plan" to feel like I was getting a full quality week of training in, and that was on a week where I was supposed to run a race, but the town was so flooded from previously mentioned snow and blizz-hurri-pocalyse, or whatever they called that system that came through.

I was talking to my running buddy Chris and kind of starting to panic because my miles just haven't been where I've wanted them to be. He casually, subtly asked if I had considered using the Skedaddle half marathon as a training run and switching my focus to the Fargo half. And honestly, I was a little annoyed. But mostly because I hadn't thought of that myself.

If I was coaching a runner who was having a similar season to mine, that would've been my first suggestion. But for some reason you don't see that when you're coaching yourself. Thank goodness for good running friends.

So I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, and I now have another 4 weeks where I can build up some solid mileage and strength for Fargo. Wahoo!!


No comments: