Thursday, October 15, 2009

Brrrrrrr.....

Seriously....no blogging since the Sunday run?!?! I can't possibly be that busy can I? No. Just lazy. Hmm. Well turns out I remember why I always fall off the running bandwagon post fall half marathon: I HATE THE COLD. Seriously. There is nothing more uninspiring than running in the cold/grey/wet/snowy weather. Soggy leaves? Eew. Soggy socks, fml.

The good news is, even with the blog slacking, I haven't been running slacking. Three cheers--hip hip hooray!! I am, however, completely over running on the treadmill. So hopefully the temp stays in the 40's for the rest of the winter. That should be doable, right SoDak? Awesome,blossom.

This week marked my first week of half marathon training for the Dallas White Rock HM. WHOO!! I heart races (I think I've mentioned that before). :) Monday I had 5 easy miles scheduled at a 9:51 pace. Since it's now Thursday, I don't even remember how that run went. Hmm...let's consult my Runners World log for some clues, shall we? Oh hey! Turns out I was too big of a wussy to run outside and went to the gym. I imagine all 5 miles were REALLY BORING as they tend to be when running indoors. Oh ya, that knee pain that was bothering me on Sunday? It was back the last 1/2 mile of the run. Uff, it was not fun. I also learned I have somewhat of a gym stalker this past weekend, so just being at the gym in general was not so super fun.

I did 5 miles in 48:19 for a pace of 9:40. One fun thing to pass the time at the gym is to stage endurance races against all the other treadmillers. I'll have you know that I was supreme-o victorious on Monday. I lasted longer than all of them. Jeri: 1, Other Treadmillers: 0.

When I got home, I decided to buff up my arms since I have to show them off in my strapless bridesmaid dress this weekend. I did an intense upper body yoga series **and totally rocked crow pose longer than I ever have before, YES!!**. Followed by 2 sets of 20 push ups. I'm swull, I'll post pics of my guns after this weekend.

Tuesday I was already over my training schedule, and already all about rearranging it. Man, I'm a loser. I think I may have been getting a bit of a cold or something because I zonked out at 9pm and slept until 7:30am. Take that germs.

Last night I decided that I would brave the elements and test out some layering options for an easy 5 miler. Since I was a bit chilled on my long run on Sunday, I tried to find another layer for the legs. I found a pair of leggings (you know, those leggings that were v. popular to wear under skirts?) that I bought a couple of years ago. Btw, Jeri a couple years ago, was about 20 lbs heavier than current Jeri. Haha, oh my goodness FAIL. Obviously they're not meant to be run in, so I'm an idiot straight up, but I had to pull them up every quarter of a mile. Finally I just pulled them up to my boobs and they seemed to stay for a while. To be honest though, when they first started shifting downward, I couldn't tell which layer (running undies, leggings, running pants) was falling down and totally thought my booty was hanging out for all to see. Phew, glad that wasn't the case.

Other than that, the run wasn't horrible, but the elements were. It was freezing cold and pouring rain. The first mile was straight into the wind, and I almost turned around and went home, but after I rounded the corner it wasn't nearly as bad, so I kept going. Glad the weather kept most folks home and off the trails, because I'm sure I was a sight to see with yanking up what looked like my falling bloomers, probably, along the run. :)

I did 5 miles in 47:38 for a pace of 9:32.

I would like to note that my shoes are STILL SOAKED from this G.D. run. Grr.

This morning I had an easy 5 miles to do. Somehow I was sooo slow moving that I only had time to do 4 and still get ready for work. Oh well, I've probably reached my limit for consecutive 5 mile easy runs for my life. :) Silly me prepared for the biting cold/rain/snow of the last few runs and managed to overdress. We're talking sweaty city. I don't get it, it was only 41 yet I'm sweating bullets? I'm guessing the no wind must've made all the difference compared to the 10 and 17 mph from previous. It was bad though, I actually had to take off my gloves and carry them for the last half of the run because my hands were soooo warm. I actually busted out my real running tights, and think they'll be a great addition to my winter running collection.

Speaking of, I need some SERIOUS advice on cold weather must haves. I started looking at Nike.com today and the nice warm jackets that have wind proof material (obviously a must) are $90-250!!!! I haven't even started looking at pants. :( I'm hoping to buy one nice jacket, and one nice pair of pants, for hopefully under $200. Then just rotate the under layers through. All suggestions are welcome. What can you NOT LIVE WITHOUT? Midwesterners, I'm looking to you here..... You bitches that are still complaining about 90 degree tropical weather, need not comment. :p

To finish, I'll leave you with a super sweet convo that I had with my running co-worker the other day. The funny thing is, I joked about adding it to my blog (he knows I have a running blog) and then quickly jotted down the convo so I wouldn't forget it, because I really WAS going to add it. then the next day he asked to see if the convo had made the cut or not. Ha.

Jeri: Toooooooooooooom! Come in here a sec! (Our offices are next door so we frequently just talk through the wall to each other.)
Tom:  What?
Jeri:  I WANT TO START LOOKING AT MARATHON TRAINING PROGRAMS!!  
Tom:  Uh, ya, because you have to start training in like 4 months?
Jeri:  Try threeeeeeee.  PLUS, it's the next race I start training for.  Meaning it's on DECK.  A MARATHON.  Which means I have to figure out what program I'm going to do NEXT.
Tom:  Ya right, you'll do at least 10 races between now and the marathon.
Jeri:  Nuh uh.
Tom:  [mocking me]  OOOHH, Tom!  I can take 2 weeks of from marathon training to run a 5k right?!?  I just don't want to lose my speeeeeeeed.  I can just swap out a tempo run for a race right?!?!?!  It's only $20, it'll be fine, right?!?!?!?!
Jeri:  Ok, that sounds about right.  But I'm still looking for a training program.

Clearly we've been working together way too much.  Or I've just been talking about running way too much at work.  Hehe, sorry co-workers.  :)

In other sad news, I think I broke my camera.  It won't take any pictures saying the memory card is full, except that there's no pics on the memory card.  Last time I uploaded pics I accidentally deleted them from my computer instead of deleting them from my camera, so I think it doesn't recognize they're gone.  Any ideas?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take the camera in! That is no bueno, and having no camera is also not good!

I couldn't live without my Under Armor shirt and pants last winter. And I'm *not* a Midwesterner but also not complaining about 90* temps - so there, I commented! ;)

A nice wind jacket would be awesome - if you find one for cheap, hook me UP!

Last piece of advice - maybe move out of SD?! haha kidding. sort of. but I honestly don't know how you do it - if it was snowing already I'd be locked INDOORS for the next few months.

Kathleen said...

Ugh, I hate running in the cold too, but honestly I'd shoot myself more with the damn treadmill. Hate that machine so much!

For cold weather running, I head straight to TARGET, which has a lot of Under Amor-esque stuff for a lot less $$$. I think I got my awesome spandex legging from there for like $20. So worth it.

Jules said...

Check out www.sportsbasement.com. They have some good deals on tights and wind resistent jackets. During the winter, I can not do without my tights and under armor mock turtleneck. I also love my fleece lined running mittens. I remember when I used to just try to run in gloves and my fingers would lose all sensation. Now I wear the gloves with mittens over them on super cold days - like Sunday when it was 19 degrees! I'm also thinking about getting one of these this year - http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens/accessories/pid8000022-ColdGear-Hood/8000022-410.

Happy cold weather running!

Mica said...

Ugh, cold and rain really make for miserable running! It really is worth it to cough up the moolah for a pricey jacket, I think. It helps keep me dry and semi-warm in the colder months, which helps a lot when I am trying to get out the door.

Heather said...

It's so easy to overdress this time of year . . . I have to consciously force myself not to add too many layers. Have to have something left to put on when it gets to single digits! I'll post my winter guide on Monday, I think. :)

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Uff Da! Move to where min. layers are required no matter the time of year. Yet, the midwest is the place to be. Fun in the sun is over rated? Nah, not really.

Awesome blossom on the Marathon training. Which one are you thinking of? For a first one (if this is your first one?), pick flat, walker friendly one at a vacation (fun in the sun) destination. Treat yourself. You deserve it after all the training and the actual marathon itself. Make it a fun life event.

Jamie said...

cold running is so tough! I've spent the $$$ on quality gear b/c it lasts hella longer and does so much better. I bought New Balance winter/windproof jacket and tights - AMAZING! Between those two and my Nike hat/gloves I'm set. Also, check out runningwarehouse.com or sports authority for gear on sale!

can't wait to hear what you decide regarding marathon training!

RunToTheFinish said...

last year I bought cold weather clothes and never thought twice about running outside again!! First off find a TJMaxx or marshalls if you can, I got all my gear (nike, etc) there for so cheap.

First up you need a pullover that's dryfit, but very thick....almost fleece like. Thick dry fit socks (drymax rocks), a dryfit hat (careful a lot won't cover your ears and you need that with the wind....and then you'll just be layering under those things! I have a pair of thick tights that are dry fit and I wear them under some regular running pants cause I feel silly in the super tight stuff

Glenn Jones said...

Try reformatting your memory card.

And I'm keeping my mouth shut about cold weather. (Whistling...)

J said...

Hope the wedding is fun this weekend! It sure has been cold out lately too! I dont know how i am going to survive the winter!!