Monday, May 8, 2017

Off Season Ish

The other night, I pulled out my  Faster Road Racing: 5K to Half Marathon book to draw up my next training program. I have my half on May 13th, and then I'll be racing a few local 5ks en route to a 10k on the 4th of July. My fall training cycle will start about a week later. I've been loving having a training program again (even though it stresses me out a bit because it's INTENSE).

I started working on my plan, and I realized I wasn't feeling it. My training program for Brookings was 12 weeks long. That's probably 6 weeks longer than I've trained for a race in YEARS. And I did an 8 week base building plan leading up to the higher mileage training program. SO if you think about it that way, I've basically spent the last 5 months training for this race. *gulp*

I plan to do the same 12 week training program for my fall session, so to keep from burning out, I'm going to go plan-less.

Eeps!

I'll take a week off after Brookings, and my favorite yoga teachers are opening a yoga + cycling studio on May 1, and I'm desperate to get back on my yoga mat and sneak in some cycling! I hope to run 3 times a week, but it'll be with less structure than I am doing currently. I told my running buddy she could have an 8 week break from running #allthemiles with me, and she was excited to get back into the pool and dive (see what I did there?) into some triathlons, so I think we're both needing a little break.

I hope to keep a long run of 6-8 miles, and I'm loving the speed sessions, but there's a 5k every Monday night in June, and I want to race ALL OF THEM, which makes for a wonky set of training. So we'll see what transpires!

Hopefully a little mental and physical break will have me chomping at the bit to start a new training program mid-July (which may or may not already be completely drafted up for a goal race in which I haven't even entered the lottery for... nbd).

No comments: