Thursday, January 10, 2019

Don't Miss a Monday

I know that the phrase "don't miss a Monday" is probably overplayed. It's everywhere, along with "new year, new you." If either motivate you, that's great. If not, that's fine too.

I really like running on Mondays. I try to make my long runs Saturday (weather and work dependent) so I can get in a longer run on Monday. Something about starting the week with some good mileage, really helps me get out the door the rest of the week. Miss a Monday and somehow the entire week is thrown out the window.

During marathon training, I had my med-long runs scheduled for Mondays. So I was running anywhere from 8-12 miles on a Monday. Nice easy miles to kick off the week. Usually Chris joined me, and I was fine going whatever pace was appropriate in the crazy heat we ran in. And it set the tone for the week.



Right now I'm currently in the off season. I had written up a draft of base building/off season, and then decided I really wanted to take a break from a plan until my next training cycle. But I would still like Monday to be a longer run for the week.

The month of December was a struggle for me. We ran the Dallas Half, I recovered, and then it seemed like a slog to get in my mileage for my 2018 goal. And I came up short on my 100 mile month goal for December. As I was logging miles this week, my online log came up to December's calendar.

I skipped every single Monday run.

With the exception of Christmas Eve. When I had the day off. And had a great week of running. Go figure.

So 2018 I focused on consistency with my long run. And it paid off massively. 2019 I shall focus on making sure I have a running buddy for Monday runs to increase my accountability to kick off the week! This has been a Jeri running TED talk. :P

No comments: