Monday, January 28, 2019

Real Talk: Winter Running

I have been s-t-r-u-g-g-l-i-n-g through winter running so far this year. Right off the bat, I won't hit my 100 mile running goal for January. Uff. I feel like we've had a handful of nice running days, and about 27 days in which there was scary significantly below zero temps and/or terrible running conditions. I have been somewhat torn between being fine with less miles, as I gifted myself an "offseason" of sorts, and panicking about my fitness disappearing.

My plan going into this offseason the tail end of December and January was to take advantage of the nice days by running 8-10 miles, and not feeling bad about resting on terrible days. Well I've mostly held true to this (minus the night I was so excited to run 8 miles only to discover I forgot to pack a sports bra. UGH), but there have been so many atrocious days! I am hopeful that once I'm back on "the plan" I'll suck it up and not skip runs due to weather. I will also have the added benefit of likely nicer weather once February 4th rolls around (you hear that winter???). At the very least, it's easier to switch around a schedule when you have a handful of terrible winter that throws a wrench in the plan. It is significantly harder to deal with that wrench when it's a month long.

So February is just around the corner, and minus this upcoming week, (LOLZ -60, are you forking nuts?!) the few week forecast looks decent!


No comments: