Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Look Who's Off the Injured Reserved List

Oh man, I was an anxious beast on Monday.  I was so excited to get out and run, but I was also deathly nervous that the pain would be back.  Part of me wanted to run right away, and the other part wanted to wait til the end of the day, just to be safe.

When the clock struck 5pm, I pretty much sprinted out of the office.  I grabbed my running clothes, and proceeded to do the happy dance around my apartment as I was getting ready.  Dare I say, this small injury was what I needed to remind me how much I love to run?  ;)

I started off and was forced to run a fairly hilly route because it's so dark at 5 now.  Boo!  I concentrated on keeping good form and paying attention to any pain, should it crop up.  The first mile to mile and a half I was sucking wind pretty hard, but that was also the extremely hilly portion of the run.  After the first mile and a half, it just felt GOOD.  No aches, no pains, and what I felt was an easy pace was actually a bit faster than I had planned for.

Around mile 3 and a half I did start getting a bit tired, probably because I was HUNGRY.  At mile 4, I looked down at my watch to see what my split was and SPLAT!  Arms and legs flailing through the air, and Jeri biffs it.  Big time.  :p  Oh geez.  Finally have a healthy foot, and trying to wreck my wrists and knees.  Haha.  Nothing was harmed except for the hole in my new running pants.  Sigh.

I ended up doing 5 miles in 45:46 for a pace of 9:10.
1. 9:13 2. 9:17 3. 9:10 4. 9:06 5. 8:59

I just went through my training schedule for the next 3 weeks.  (My race is in 3 1/2 weeks, holy CRAP!)  I knocked the plan down from 5 days/week to 4, which knows my weekly mileage from 37-38-37 to 28-30-29.  For my long runs, I'll do 12-13-12, and I reduced one easy run/week by one mile to lower my weekly mileage.  I have no qualms about lowering any of the other easy runs by a mile if I need to.  However, I don't see my 8:22 pace that runnersworld.com predicted for me happening on race day; I will be happy with a pain free race.  Can't WAIT!

Tonight I am sooooooooo excited to sleep.  Running is my Ambien, so I've been a bit [read:  INSANELY] of an insomniac for the past couple of weeks.  I'm guessing my bed is going to be the greatest. thing. ever.

17 comments:

Aron said...

YAYYYYYYY for running!!! :)

Elizabeth said...

Great to have you back running

Jamie said...

Yea for pain free running!!! Sounds like a good plan going into Dallas!

Mica said...

Yay, you are back with a vengeance!

I hope you stay pain-free. I hear it's the way to be! *A rhyme!

Marathon Maritza said...

You are back in action, girl!! Keep it up!

Boo for falling, but who hasn't done that? Glad you were fine!

Kathleen said...

Haha, don't bruise up your butt like me! BUT YAYAYAY for running :) :) :)

Steel Springs said...

A pain-free run! It sounds like you're back in full force with an excellent plan for the next few weeks.

Heather said...

So happy you were able to get back out for a run and that it was pain free. I totally agree with you - sometimes a little break is a great reminder of how great running is.

Thomas Tan said...

Excellent! You did the right and didn't rush back from injury. You have great patience and sees the big picture.

Do I sound like a fortune cookie or what?! LOL

Anonymous said...

so you don't need to borrow my legs then? ;)

YESSSS, running again!!! I don't know how you sat through a whole work day waiting for that. I would've gone craaaazzyyy.

J said...

When i wasnt running I had trouble sleeping too! Sometimes I feel like if I dont run I dont use enough energy during the day! Glad the run went well and your foot was good!

Anonymous said...

So glad you're back! Sorry that you ripped your new pants though!

Jen Feeny said...

Welcome Back Girl!!! :)

YAY!!!!

Just promise to take it easy!!! I know those ants in your pants are going nutso but you have to start off a bit restrained so you don't end right back up on the list!!!

Trying To Heal said...

yay for your no pain run! now if only i could have one...:)

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Nothing better than that great night sleeping capping a great running day. Happy you had no pain. I had a pain free foot day running as well. Sorry about the pants. Have fun and hope this means goodbye to the stationary bike :).

No Longer Using said...

pain free= a must. otherwise it's totally not worth it!!! just gets me down.

oh my gosh! you haven't been sleeping??????????????????/ thank goodness you can run again... heh.

RunToTheFinish said...

seriously time off soooo makes you love it even more!! glad yo uare back at it and eiik on the spill, I did that recently too