Saturday, November 7, 2009

Minus the extra hour of sleep I hate you DLS

As I was patiently waiting for the clock to strike 5pm on Monday, signally time to go home, I noticed that the sun was disappearing farther and farther into the west. I checked weatherbug to see what time she would set for good, and was gobsmacked that it was 5:16pm. That's how long it takes me to get home! Instantly my motivation to run was -poof- gonzo. I sat on the couch, convincing myself that if I would just go for a run, I could go buy new shoes after. Yes, on occasion I do have to bribe myself to run....what? You don't... :s

After that did nothing I thought, well what makes you more excited about running than anything??? Running in new shoes! Heck, if I get the shoes first, there's no way I could turn down a run. I'm a GENIUS! My co-worker had a 20% off coupon for the local running store, and I was excited to use it. :) I had planned to get the Asics Nimbus 11, but wanted to try some others on just to be sure. I tried on some Nikes and Mizunos just for giggles, but I'm afraid my heart will always lie with the Nimbus. If it isn't broke, don't fix it, eh? Unfortunately, they only had purple left in stock in my size. Now, I'm not a purple hater, but during football season, I absolutely am, especially after Sunday's game. :( I texted a friend who's a big Vikes fan and confessed my purchase. His response, "I bet you look really good in purple. ;)" Well obviously! Just as long as everyone realizes I would've chosen green if given the choice. Hah.


After arriving home with my new shoes, I couldn't wait to go for a run. I grabbed my new running pants, my new (to me) white running jacket, and gloves and set out for a 6-7 mile run. This time I decided to hit up another ond 'hood: my old college! :) I knew it was going to be a hilly route, but felt like my legs could handle it. I spent the 6 miles reminiscing about my college memories, classes, friends, professors, co-workers..... I know some people hated college, but it will forever hold a big ol' chunk of my heart. It was cool to see new additions to campus and to some apartments surrounding campus. It was sad to see my two favorite party houses torn down. Sniffles.

It was especially awesome to run up the HUGE HILL I used to avoid at all costs when I first started running again the summer before my senior year. I remember whenever I would accidentally include it in my running route, I would ALWAYS have to walk up it. It was waaaaaaay too steep, and I just didn't have the strength or heart to tackle it. Not last night. I trucked right up the puppy, and was rewarded with the view of our new stadium. It was a great run, and even though it was technically supposed to be an easy run at an easy pace, I actually booked it, especially considering all the hills!

I did 6 miles in 52:51 for a pace of 8:49.

1. 9:41
2. 8:42
3. 8:38
4. 8:22
5. 8:19
6. 9:05

I just realized that this was basically a 4 mile hill tempo run.  Sweet.  :)
Sidenote:  I look like I have cankles in both of the pics of my new shoes.  Hahahha.  I just noticed that, oh well.  Gotta show off the shooooooosies.  :)

14 comments:

Heather said...

Nice job on the surprise tempo run! It's fun running and reminiscing at the same time.

J said...

what a good way to movitvate yourself! I do that sometimes but with everything! I will say to myself - oh you worked so hard this week you deserve the new boots! lol

The morning pictures I think i looked funny in them - i dont know why but i dont really look like myself! I guess i just have so many different looks lol!

Alyssa said...

I run in Nimbus too! I have a purple and pink pair, it's my all time favorite shoe. I tried switching to brooks once but I didn't like them as much.

I'm really not liking this getting dark at 5 pm. It's depressing! I've started morning running so I can keep running in daylight. I actually really love it but the 6 am wake up call means I have to be in bed at 10 which is kinda lame. hah. oh well.
:)

Kathleen said...

I hate running in the dark, because it just makes me feel creepy, haha. But at least no one can see me running and huffing like a maniac! Good job on your runs btw :)

Jamie said...

New shoes always motivates me! Nice job on the hills!!! And the shoes are very cute too!

Trying To Heal said...

love the purple!!!

and great run...:)

Mica said...

Isn't that rewarding, charging up hills that used to be scary? Good job!

HappyTrails said...

I love Nimbus, too! Found your blog via Slomohusky. We visited the Black Hills a few years back and fell in love with that beautiful area. Lots of great trails to run - are you near there?
K

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Nice shoes Jerbear. I used to run in Asics years ago. Ran the Seattle Marathon 13 years ago in them. Later went to Brooks, now I only run in New Balance 1062's. Which they don't make anymore!! Don't worry, "the shoe" for you in running, is kinda like "the person" for you in marriage. I think I have blog posting on this? Anyway, I have four pairs of 1062's in waiting underneath the bed.
Glad someone else loves there college days and college as much I do and did. I hate DLS and the Vikings (ever since Fran Tarkenton) as well.

Anonymous said...

You know people who "hated" college?! who are they?!! woof, sad day. I'm with you - PSU will always have a biiiig piece of me, and I love it.

Our football team? well, they aren't really on my good side for tonight. GAH.

You had a kick-a run, nice work! Gotta love that feeling of tackling routes that were once "too much" for the legs. :)

X-Country2 said...

Those shoes are pretty! Way to own that hill!!

Jules said...

Purty shoes! New shoes are the best :)

Nicci said...

I'm actually loving this extra hour. My body is back on track and i'm not having trouble with sleep. I don't know what was going on for awhile.

Jen Feeny said...

I am having total shoe envy right now... *Drool*