Monday, November 30, 2009

Race Report: Mock 1/2 Marathon/Black Fri-A-Thon

After checking the weather report for Friday through Sunday, I decided that Friday afternoon would be a perfect time for my mock half marathon, as it was supposed to be a high of 55*.  I had to tweet for suggestions as to what to wear for 55* because it's been so long.  :p  I was all excited to wear shorts, until I remembered that I still didn't have my iPod shuffle charged, and would be lugging Big Bertha around.  Unfortunately, she only fits in my running pants and capris.  Capris it is!

I woke up and ate some pizza for breakfast--no underfueling issues for me this time!!  Watched some tv, did some online shopping, and finally set out for my run around 1:30pm.  I looooove having weekdays off.  Daylight!  Sun!  All the great makings for a long run, I tell ya.  I had planned on trying for a sub-2 hour pace, as that was my goal for Dallas White Rock HM after "the injury" occurred, at which would be a 9:10 pace.  For me, running is about 95% mental, so I wanted to determine if this was a feasible goal, or if I needed to revise to avoid my legs falling off around the 10k point.

I started the run and immediately realized how much easier it felt than last week's horrible, horrible long run.  It definitely helps having less layers on, and less restriction on my legs.  Thick running pants + leggings = impossible for Jerbear to stride out, uff.  Capris = wheeeeeeeeee!  Look at me go!  The first few miles flew by, but I could already tell that my 12 oz. of water weren't going to last me very long.  I was already a bit of a sweaty beast.  Oh no.

1.  9:01
2.  8:55
3.  9:01

I kept going along at the same pace without too much effort on my part.  I was honestly pretty surprised each time my watch beeped and showed another split under 9 minutes.  I took a GU at 3.6 and drank waaaaaay more water then should've been allotted at not quite the 1/3 point.


4. 8:56
5. 8:53
6. 8:58 



I took a second GU at the halfway point and started to head back towards home.  Those first two miles back were into the wind, and the pace dropped down.  After two miles over 9 minute miles, I decided to actually try to "feel" a slightly quicker pace.

7. 9:04
8. 9:08
9. 8:50 


I had hoped a bathroom was open at 9.75 miles so I could refill my water bottle since I only had a teensy tinsy swig left.  FAIL.  Nothing.  I can honestly say that I was searching all the bikers the last few miles to see if they had excess water I could bum off of them.  Hah.  I did take my final GU at 9.75.  I usually kick up the pace with 3 miles to go, but apparently my legs were just ready to be home.

10. 8:39
11. 8:40
12. 8:37
13. 8:19
.1 :43 (7:22 pace) 




Honestly the entire run felt really great and really strong.  The last mile was the only mile that I felt like I was putting in some hard work.  It was great.  I was very shocked and surprised to have this successful of a run, especially after having almost 2 whole weeks off for my foot.


I ended the 13.1 in 1:55:50, which is only a minute off of my 1/2 marathon PR.  Apparently I might be in good enough shape to at least attempt a PR in Dallas, which I had previously deemed out of the question.  Goal A will still be to just have a blast, but I honestly think a PR is feasible.  Especially since I just looked at the race day forecast and it was a High of 61*.  This girl can run like the wind in little running shorts and a tank top, and it sounds like it might just be the weather for it.  :D

I accidentally turned on my laptop, so my time was erased from my Garmin screen.  Waaah!  I decided to still snap a picture of the history.  Check out those goosebumps.  WHOA!




Friday night was an impromptu celebration of my race.  What?  It was someone else's birthday celebration?  Well, huh... in my mind it was a celebration of me, whatev.  :)  Here are some pics of our shenanigans...


The newlywed and I.

The boys were having a beard growing contest for $$$.  Now they're just continuing on principle.  WTF?


Bryce & I.

20 comments:

Steel Springs said...

Great run! You're going to rock the Dallas Half.

Zoƫ said...

You ran a 1:55 on a training Half marathon...with no crowds, no adrenaline, no race bib...

UM, you totally are going to kick some major butt in your upcoming race. You got that PR!
:)

Trying To Heal said...

dude, you're gonna rock that race...i mean, that time, no one cheering or yelling? yeah, you're gonna be AWESOME.

J said...

How in the heck did you get a forecast for white rock already??? You've just made my day!! 61 degrees would be awesome, let's hope it stays!

Nice mock HM, btw. You will do great in Dallas! Maybe I will see you in your green tank top...

Kathleen said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! Pssh, even if it was just mock, you totally kick your race's ass! And I usually have pizza AFTER a long run, but I will def have to try it as fuel.

Mica said...

Awesome run! You are speedy and ready!

John said...

Pizza for breakfast rocks. Oh, and nice run!

Heather said...

Awesome job on the mock half! I see a PR in your future. :)

B. Kramer said...

Great run without the raceday boost. Cheers!

Jamie said...

Great mock 1/2! You are going to own Dallas :)

Jen Feeny said...

Look at you Speedy! Way to rock that mock! LOL! I can't wait to see how it turns out in D-town! I know you're going to kick booty!

No Longer Using said...

hahaha WAY TO GO! and way to celebrate it :)

i like how you ran the half-marathon .1 and everything. :) i always have to pace myself with water, esp cuz if i drink too much at one time i get cramps! sometimes idon't realize i am actually fine without it... but then there are those runs i totally hear ya on the water envy. i remember 1 14-miler over the summer i was seriously scoping out everyone who passed me... if only i had had money on me. gahh. bad feeling.

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Wow, your fast.

Was the AM pizza the pre-run mock breakfast? :) It is a perfect the night before. I usually go with a veggie. You will do great. Just try to get some sleep the night before. Dallas can be a fun place to visit as well.

J said...

Great job on the half marathon! It was like 32 degrees in the mornings when i ran last week and I was sweating soooo much! It was crazy!

Jules said...

You sound ready to rock it! If you are running a mock in 1:55, all conditions on your side, I say you run a sub-1:50 in Dallas :)

Anonymous said...

1:55 ?! You're gonna Killll that half-marathon!! Especially in nicer weather and with more water stops available ;) (charge that shuffle!!)


aaand, LRs always merit a celebration! regardless of who the "guestt of honor" is...just sayin' ;)

Glenn Jones said...

You'll kill Dallas! This little hormone called adrenaline will probably make an appearance at a real race. That should be good for a couple of minutes! Way to knock it out! And looks like a fun Friday night too!

Anonymous said...

Great mock half!

Aron said...

awesome job girl!!! you are going to rock your next half :)

Nicci said...

Great run,awesome time lady! Your gonna kick butt! I may go to the half to watch a friend. Maybe I'll see you!!