Monday, November 16, 2009

I'm a Biking MACHINE. Wait, isn't that actually a bike? Hmm..

I woke up bright and early Saturday morning, and my body was raring for a long run.  Sorry body, maybe next weekend!  I had planned on taking Polly out for a spin, but it was COLD and WINDY.  I'm a hard core runner, and that wouldn't stop running Jeri, but biking Jeri is a WUSS.  To the gym I went.

I set the bike for 60 minutes and an interval routine at a level of 9.  Oh my goodness, this kicked my butt!!  The two times I checked my HR, it was between 135-155.  This is the first bike workout that I felt was as tough as a run.  I happened to be biking next to a giant mirror, and glanced down at my legs while biking away and realized that my calves look SICK!  One benefit of being injured apparently, I'll take it.  :p  I biked 12.15 miles in the hour and could literally wring my shirt out when I was down.  Impressive fo sho.

Post workout, I met up with an old co-worker to do some shopping.  I've alluded to this briefly on my blog, but over the course of the last year I've lost probably 25-30 pounds.  I never thought I was heavy before, but was just bothered that my body no longer looked athletic, as it has always looked.  Well obviously after losing that much weight, my clothes don't really fit the greatest, but I haven't let myself get new clothes for some reason.  (????)  I finally thought about it and realized that I should just sell the clothes that I have that are too big and use my Xmas/Bday money to get some new threads.

Our shopping trip was primarily for browsing, but I did find some CUUUUUTE items I couldn't pass up.  :)  Since the only pair of jeans I own are also starting to be loose, I got a new pair of jeans.  Sidenote:  I may have tried on a legit pair of skinny jeans at Banana that didn't look horrible on me....that's straight up SHOCKING.  Haha.  No way I'd spend that much on jeans though.  :p



An adorable tank.


And a great cardigan.  I literally live in cardigans.  It's the librarian in me, I guess.  :)

I always got a pretty sweet comment about my new black running jacket.  I was giving my friend a fashion show with the new coat, after previously showing him the green coat and how cuuuuuute it was, and how bummed I was about sending it back because it wasn't worth the $90, to which he responded,
"Oh that coat looks way better on you than the green one did anyway."  Here, let me just set my ego in your lap and you can continue to stroke it for the evening....awesome.  :p  Hah.

I tried out the great new running jacket on my loooooong Sunday bike ride.  I waited for the temp to reach 30, because I'm a wuss, and set out.  I wanted to do 18 or 20 miles, which would be my longest bike ride by 6-8 miles.  I loaded up my sweet new road trip playlist and hooked my ear phones into the collar of my coat (instant speakers!).  It was a bit chilly out, but I warmed up pretty quickly.  I tried to keep my pace around 12 mph, which was fine for the first 8 miles, but after I reached my turn around spot, I could tell I was getting TIRED.  It's a bit taxing to take on some hills with a one speed beach cruiser.  :)


I did see some CRAZY things while I was biking.  First I saw a muskrat, I think.  It was BIG like a small raccoon but not marked like a raccoon.  Then I saw a ferret.  Or what looked like a ferret.  But I swear it jumped in the river after it saw me, and I'm fairly certain ferrets don't swim.  Although, I wouldn't be surprised if that river doesn't make super strains of animals.... eeew. Ever see that episode of the simpsons?

Also, I saw two gorgeous deer.  They leapt out in front of me on the trail.  Luckily they are much faster than me on my slow bike, and crossed right before I got to them, because I would've been too slow to stop.  EEK!

Because the bike trail ends about 8 miles away (which I wasn't aware of for some reason) I had to tack on another 2 miles towards the end of the run.  I had to bike through a whole gaggle of geese and they were hissing away at me.  Since I was on a bike, I didn't feel nearly as threatened as I do when running, and hissed back at them as I pedalled through.  Felt good.  Hah.

I ended up doing 18.07 miles in 1:35.  I swear my feet are still cold hours later.  :(

In other EXCITING NEWS.  I am planning on attempting my first run Monday!!!  Everyone please say multiple prayers that the foot is a-ok, because I'm ready to get back running.  I've already decided I would be cutting my running from 5 days a week to 4 for the duration of my training, and I'll have to do some long run adjustments as well.  I just want to run the race pain free and enjoy myself.  I don't think I'll be able to PR the race, but it'll be cool having my brother, sister in law, and nephew there cheering for me.  :)

13 comments:

Jen Feeny said...

Just take it easy girl and don't push it! We want you out there running not going straight back to the injured list!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Aaahh. Always nice to see Blinky (three eyed Simpson fish) again. Reminds me it has been a long while since watching a Simpsons episode. Can't belive it has been on since my Junior year of College.

Nice clothes. Always a good thing to treat yourself. Great job on losing the weight as well. You look very athletic/fit in all your pix.

Take it slow and easy for a week. 4 runs a week is a great plan.

J said...

Sounds like you had bunches of fun this weekend! Good luck with the run - I am sure your foot will be feeling better with all this time off.

Jamie said...

Cute clothes! I love cardigans too :)

Sounds like a good plan when you return to running!

Susan said...

25-30 pounds? Nice work!! I'm impressed with anyone who loses weight the safe, healthy way! I'll be thinking about you as you start to pound the pavement again. And I'll be crossing my fingers!

Zoë said...

Take that Monday run at an easy pace, no need to push yourself. That's awesome that you've gained some sick calves (I love that phrase!). And a huge WOOHOO for getting new clothes. *sigh*
I swear, the inner librarian is funny...I'm a cardigan junkie too. :)

Way to go, Jeri!

Anonymous said...

Calf definition never hurts ;) it's always surprising what muscles you work when you do something Other than running.....

CUTE clothes! That cardigan is fabulous, it does not need an excuse (i.e. librarian tendencies) haha

Anonymous said...

Those jeans are CUTE! You must tell us where you bought them!

That's funny.. I can totally picture someone riding a yellow bike hitting a deer! LOL :0)

Mica said...

Fingers crossed for the run!

And I LOVE that cardigan. I need to buy more because I think they're so great. And I am jealous that you can rock some skinny jeans!

Glenn Jones said...

A ferret huh? Reminds me of the time I was in Canada watching my sone row at a regatta. There was this animal swimming around in the water I didn't recognize. Beaver? Mink? Otter? Then it got out and walked around on the rocks. It was a RAT! Ewe!

WTG on the weight thing! I know that the last couple of pictures that you've posted of yourself show off your weight loss!

Jen Feeny said...

Completely unrelated note: Do you have any tips/tricks that you might share with me for my Ragnar Relay on Friday?!?!?!? Email me PLEASE!!!!! redheadrunning (@) gmail

Thanks girl!!!

No Longer Using said...

i hope the run went well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you sending the jacket back, you said? my mom is pushing me to get one of those crossing guard type reflector vests cuz i run so much at night. i hate spending money on non-cute clothes tho :) but it is prolly a good idea.

great job with your workouts!... and shopping :)

Marathon Maritza said...

Great bike workout!!! I am saying prayers for your foot! Hope it's a succesful run!!

Awesome job on the weight loss and the clothes-shopping should be fun! Enjoy it and treat yourself, you worked hard for it. (I LOVE that tank by the way!