Monday, August 30, 2010

Tempo Run with an Empty Tank

Coming off my Sicky McSickerness I decided to do my 8 mile tempo run with 6 miles at 8:05-8:15 pace.  My stomach was no longer a jumbled mess, but my throat was still screaming.  I figured it was going to scream whether I was on the couch watching tv or out running, so I chose to head out the door to save my sanity.  I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good I felt considering I had barely eaten (and kept down) any solid food for two days, but the cooler temps helped big time.  I put in my warm up mile, and while doing so, some dude screamed out, "on your left!" as he was passing me on foot.  Oh no he di-n't.  As soon as my warm up mile was done, it was go time.  Operation:  pass smug runner dude.  And success.

1.  7:48 (oops catch + pass smug dude = too fast)
2.  8:05  perfect-o.  I could run this pace forever.  (did I really just think that?!?!)
3.  8:16
4.  8:27  death.  slowly setting in.
5.  8:31  hold me.

During the 4th or 5th tempo mile I got to calculating my daily calories.... somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 (since I hadn't been able to keep anything down until late afternoon).  Uh... no wonder you're on E (not the party/rave/glowstick E, or the trashy celeb gossip channel E! but out of gas E).  I decided to just slog through a slow 2 mile cool down instead of attempting another poopy doopy tempo mile.

I did 8 miles in 1:11:57 for a pace of 8:57.  Avg. tempo pace = 8:13.  What?!?!?!  So I apparently failed to do the math on that until now.  I guess I hit my goal pace then even with the sucktastic miles.  Thank you smug runner guy for being my rabbit.

Friday night one of my co-workers got married and I took no short of one million photos of one of my other co-worker's baby.  I also took a pic with my office (ex) hubby, for Lauren, but we both look like FREAKS so I will spare the world wide web of those.  :)




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clarifying the "E" - we can't be reading here and thinking you're on a Keeping Up w/ the Kardashian-high! Or, the other kind of High. Ya know.

Anyways! Who Says "on your left" on FOOT?! I get irritated when Cyclists say it, and thats supposedly Polite. I would've caught that Smug dude, too. Nice work, Jeri-legs!

Andrew Opala said...

So you have invented about 30,000 new words for this old guy to understand.

Here's what I get from this post.
(1) you are awesome fast - you can turn the lights off and be in bed before the room gets dark
(2) you don't like smug guys
(3) you like little babies
(4) you are awesome fast

Evolving Through Running said...

Nice work dusting the smug guy. I think Paris Hilton was running on E this weekend as well, but with very different results. Hope you're back to 100% soon. Awesome pace, especially while you're still fighting off the sick.

Heather said...

Impressive tempo run - apparently getting sick just makes you tougher. Way to catch that bastard.

Julie said...

Hi Jeri,
You are so freaking fast Lady! I have been having a big pity party because I feel like I have lost my speed because of doing the longer runs! Boo! You are doing great Jeri!

Also, great picture from the earlier post! You are so gorgeous:) Have a great week!