Thursday, March 6, 2014

Bike Commuting

When I first found out that I was getting to move to the brand new library branch, I was ecstatic. It is by schools, and eventually I want to be a Youth Librarian, PLUS it's closer to home. Then I actually google mapped it and learned that it was exactly the same distance as the other library was. Well, interesting.

At the very least, the new work route is much more bike friendly. Last fall I had big plans to bike to work, but I always seemed to have an excuse as to why I couldn't. This spring, I'm going to eliminate the excuses!  [hopefully] Sometimes I forgot how many stormy days we have in the spring and fall!

According to my google map skills, the distance from my place to the library is about 6 miles, and should take me roughly 30 minutes. A majority of the route has extra wide lanes, two lanes, or sidewalk on the busier roads. One of my biggest concerns is arriving to work a pile of sweat. Because even if it's only a 30 minute pedal, that doesn't mean I won't be sweaty when I arrive, with helmet hair galore.

My plan is to pack clothes and leave some shampoo and a blow dryer in my locker at work. If necessary I can perform a quick bang de-sweating wash before I have to start working. I desperately miss riding my bike [she says while in the depths of winter, so duh....] and I would love to get in an extra 48-60 miles a week just getting to and from work.

Don't ask what I'll do when I have a trillion books to carry home from work. I haven't quite worked that one out yet.

What else am I missing? How do I make this bike commuting a success??


2 comments:

Librarian on the Run said...

Awesome goal! Look into panniers and saddle bags for book transport. Sounds like you have a pretty nice route. Choose a day when you don't have too much public desk time or any important meetings that you have to look presentable for and give it a try.

plh said...

More power to you! Leave a COMPLETE change of clothes including footwear, belt etc. in your locker. Especially important as you develop your personal stay-dry methods. I started as a fair weather cyclist. Now I'm out there in rain, cold, snow, you name it.