Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Weekly Reads: She Is Not Invisible

She Is Not Invisible is the most recent book I've read for our Mock Printz discussion. Marcus Sedgwick won the Printz award for his novel, Midwinterblood, (which I've yet to read....ooops) this past year. This book is all about coincidences, so I was excited to read it. I was even more interested to see all the references to Jung's theory of synchronicity, brought me back to my psych/soci days! I really really enjoyed those portions of the story (told from writings in the father's found journal of notes for an upcoming book) but the actual story left something to be desired. I kept waiting for a giant OMG unveiling moment. With a book totaling 220 pages, there certainly was room for "more." I'm being overly critical of the book just in terms of its Printz potential, but as far as books go, this really was a great read. I also really enjoyed the story told from the perspective of a blind, teen girl.

My rating: 3.5 stars.

Summary from goodreads:

Laureth Peak's father has taught her to look for recurring events, patterns, and numbers--a skill at which she's remarkably talented. Her secret: She is blind. But when her father goes missing, Laureth and her 7-year-old brother Benjamin are thrust into a mystery that takes them to New York City where surviving will take all her skill at spotting the amazing, shocking, and sometimes dangerous connections in a world full of darkness. She Is Not Invisible is an intricate puzzle of a novel that sheds a light on the delicate ties that bind people to each other.

No comments: