Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Weekly Reads (Listens): The Rosie Effect

  



I adored The Rosie Project so when I saw the sequel, The Rosie Effect listed as an advanced reader copy, I immediately had to request it. But then I remembered how much I adored the narration of it on audiobook, and put in a purchase request at my library for the audiobook of it. And I wasn't disappointed. The narration was wonderful again, and while I didn't love the sequel as much as I loved the first book, I still enjoyed it. Don is just as quirky and "odd" as he was in the first book, but his issues aren't as happy rom-com as they were in the preceding book.

My advice: start with Rosie Project, and then pick up Rosie Effect immediately after. Don't be mad when the sequel isn't as great, it rarely is when the first is as amazing as Rosie Project is.

My rating: 3.5 stars.

Summary from goodreads:

THE ROSIE PROJECT WAS COMPLETE BUT I WAS UNPREPARED FOR THE ROSIE EFFECT.

GREETINGS. My name is Don Tillman. I am forty-one years old. I have been married to Rosie Jarman, world's most perfect woman, for ten months and ten days.

Marriage added significant complexity to my life. When we relocated to New York City, Rosie brought three maximum-size suitcases. We abandoned the Standardised Meal System and agreed that sex should not be scheduled in advance.

Then Rosie told me we had 'something to celebrate', and I was faced with a challenge even greater than finding a partner.

I have attempted to follow traditional protocols and have sourced advice from all six of my friends, plus a therapist and the internet.

The result has been a web of deceit. I am now in danger of prosecution, deportation and professional disgrace. 

And of losing Rosie forever.

No comments: