Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Weekly Reads: Greenglass House

 I signed up to read Greenglass House as one of the books on the South Dakota young adult book committee I'm a member of. It's a pretty large middle school read, and it fell toward the bottom of the stack of my to-read pile, leaving me to finish it down to the wire of when my review was due. And then I saw it on a list of read alikes for Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library. And then it won an award. Man I needed to get reading!

The book was a little slow in some parts, but overall the mystery kept me flipping the pages. I think kids will devour this, and it'd even make for a good classroom read aloud.

My rating: 4 stars.

Summary from goodreads:

A rambling old inn, a strange map, an attic packed with treasures, squabbling guests, theft, friendship, and an unusual haunting mark this smart middle grade mystery in the tradition of the Mysterious Benedict Society books and Blue Balliet's Chasing Vermeer series.

It's wintertime at Greenglass House. The creaky smuggler's inn is always quiet during this season, and twelve-year-old Milo, the innkeepers' adopted son, plans to spend his holidays relaxing. But on the first icy night of vacation, out of nowhere, the guest bell rings. Then rings again. And again. Soon Milo's home is bursting with odd, secretive guests, each one bearing a strange story that is somehow connected to the rambling old house. As objects go missing and tempers flare, Milo and Meddy, the cook's daughter, must decipher clues and untangle the web of deepening mysteries to discover the truth about Greenglass House-and themselves.

No comments: