Thursday, April 5, 2018

Recommitted to Lifting

Last week,  it was my strength coach's birthday. I wrote on his facebook page, "To honor your birthday, I'm strength training tonight AND I'm not skipping POWER on Thursday! Happy Birthday!" I have been so terrible at strength training the past few months, and it's no wonder that my knee started acting up. 

I am so incredibly thankful, however, that this decided to crop up now. As insane as that is or sounds, I would be so upset if this happened while marathon training this summer. I was actually recently considering not doing POWER during the summer fall session, because if I was struggling to balance high mileage half marathon training and lifting, there was no way I could balance marathon training with it. False: without lifting, there is no marathon training. 

Phew. 

Now that we have that out of the way.

Our mileage is on the downswing as our spring half marathon races are rapidly approaching, EEPS! Which means that it should be easier to squeeze in strength training. In addition to my Thursday morning session (so early, so tired) I'm going to try to make it to the Monday night strength class offered by 605 Running Co. It's led by Benson (BENSANE!) Skechers sponsored runner. It falls on a perfect night of the week to be recovered from Thursday's lift, and has a ton of core work which I also desperately need. Also it's more body weight focused with band work, so it always gives me great ideas of what I could/should do at home if I can't make it in.

Sometimes it's good to have reminders from your body as to what it needs. I really hope my knee doesn't need to "remind" me ever again.

1 comment:

Renee said...

I'm doing strength work twice a week and it is so so good for me. I missed this so much. I Know it's helping me get back to running.