Thursday, August 9, 2018

Ice Cream Run

Back in high school track, my favorite track practice of the year was a surprise day somewhere in between the conference meet and regionals. The coaches would show up to practice with buckets of ice cream and announce that practice that day was just a mile run and then we got ice cream. It was a fun reward for a long season of hard work.

When I first started running distance, I would carry on this tradition during the taper of my half marathon training cycles for the Sioux Falls half. Granted, I did them solo because what are running buddies!?! When I moved to Tea I had a whole crew of running friends through SFWR, so I started an ice cream run to and from our local ice cream place.

This past Sunday was the 3rd annual event. And also the cruddiest weather for it. We had on and off thunderstorms all day, but it was just rainy for the event. And if we're being honest, last year's heat index of 110 was SO MUCH WORSE. I remember having to walk/run the 1.4 miles there because I thought I was dying.

I so appreciated the ladies that made the drive and ran in the rain with me to celebrate our training and friendship! Maybe next year can just be a nice sunny 80 degrees??



No comments: