Monday, August 27, 2018

They Can't All be Unicorn Long Runs

I've had a plan to run the Sioux Falls loop/circuit since 605 Running Co. announced the challenge about it over a year ago. You start at the store, run the loop in either direction, and end back at the store, logging 19.3 miles and earning a free t-shirt from the store. Toni and I contemplated doing it as a fun run last fall but ultimately decided that her first time running that far should be for a greater purpose, like marathon training.

Jessica and I had made a tentative plan to do it together as we realized we had 20 miles falling on the same day in our training plans. Melissa had a long run cut short last weekend, so she was wanting to go longer than planned this weekend, and her BRF wanted to join us. A nice fun little crew of gals to start the day. I was excited!

We met at 6:05 am at 605, and got ready to take off. A few of us were concerned about the lack of bathrooms the direction we were going so we opted to take our first bathroom stop about 15 minutes into the run. My legs felt pretty heavy, but we also started in the hillier direction. Last weekend's 18 also started with heavy legs, and then they felt great, so I was optimistic.

We took turns running in groups of two, switching up the conversation, and the leaders, and the miles were really clicking by. There were a couple I was shocked about when they were done because I felt like we just started them. I started paying closer attention to my watch and panicked a bit when I was seeing sub 10 paces. I knew it was going to heat up, and I like to start a bit more conservatively in hopes that I can pick it up at the end. Eeps.

We had to make another bathroom stop because my stomach was not wanting to participate in the run. And then I kind of just stopped talking. We were at mile 9.8; not even to the halfway point. Eeps. My body just felt heavy and I had all sorts of aches and pains. When I would catch a glimpse of my shadow's form I just looked sloppy. My legs could still feel my speed session from Wednesday and my POWER class from Thursday night. Blech.

I was still optimistic that I would be able to pick it up the last 5 as that's usually where my brain clicks into "we're almost done! YAYZIES!" mode. Spoiler alert: it didn't. By the time we hit the last 3 miles, we were all ready to be done, and just started running at our own paces. When I had to fill up for water the last time, a couple of the girls wanted to keep going since it felt so uncomfortable to stop and start.

I was starving, and wished that I had stuck to my GU every 4 plan instead of trying for every 5. With 1.8 to go I mentioned to Jessica that I wish I had some sport beans or something to eat, and like a little angel sent from above, she had some. I knew if I took a GU this late, I wouldn't even feel it until I was done. I'm not sure that the sport beans really gave me anything extra, but mentally they did. We put our heads down and just ran. Slowly, but surely.

Since we had a few out and back extras for bathrooms and a convenience store stop for ice and fuel, we were at 20 with about a half mile to go to the store. You best believe I stopped my watch and walked in the final .5 miles. I had announced very early in the run that I was not running a step further than 20 today.

I was so happy to be done but I was really bummed with how the 20 mile went. But in perspective, I ran 20 miles at the end of 3 really really high mileage weeks. It is expected that my legs feel like garbage. Running 3+ hours when you feel that cruddy is some of the best mental training you can do. And marathons are SO MENTAL. It was a reminder that I need to stick to *my* plan even when I'm running with others. I'm more than grateful for the company on that 20 miles, but I suspect if I had kept my pace in check in those early miles, I would've felt stronger at the end.

Regardless, I'm excited for a much needed cutback week with a scheduled massage. My body has earned it!


No comments: