Thursday, August 23, 2018

Shower Steak

A week and a half ago I came home from a run and Kyle was sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner. A grilled steak and some corn on the cob. We rarely eat together, because he's a typical midwest kind of guy who loves his meat and potatoes. I rarely eat meat, and like to eat healthier or else gorge on pizza or nachos. It's called balance, I think.

My run was terrible, and I was exhausted after a decent build up in mileage, a cruddy solo run, and a long day of work. Kyle asked if I wanted a bite of steak. To be nice I said sure. Despite me not liking meat, he constantly wants me to try some dead animal that he's killed or purchased to be killed, and cooked to see if he'll get my approval. It's weird, but it's his thing. Whatever.

Guys. This was the most delicious bite of food I've eaten in a long time.

He asked if I wanted another bite and was shocked when I said I did.

I told him I desperately needed to shower, because I was about 42 minutes away from falling asleep for the night, and he asked if I wanted him to save me some of the steak. Sure.

I got in the shower, and a few minutes later I heard some shuffling around in the hallway. Surely it was just Ollie coming to sit by the shower and keep me company, per usual. Nope. It was Kyle. With a forkful of steak. He continued to travel up and down the stairs one bite of steak at a time. I ate more steak in that shower than I have in my entire life, cumulatively.

The last piece he brought me was so bloody I thought for sure I'd have to spit it out. Nope. It was the most delicious bite of all. What in the world?!?

I have hated meat as long as I can remember. I've always been able to taste the blood in meat and it just grosses me out. I also get pretty grossed out by the texture of most meat. But apparently when I'm running #allthemiles, my body needs some extra animal protein. I'm guessing that's why the extra bloody piece tasted so good.

I see your shower beer, and I raise you a shower steak.

Cheers.

No comments: