Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hey Everyone, Come See How Good my Feet Look!

Apparently beer and pizza is good fuel for a long run.  Who would've thought?  Friday night we went to a friend's house for some bean bag fun, and I decided to have a couple of beers to enjoy the summer night.  A couple turned into three, followed by a mix drink at the bar, along with 4 slices of 'za.  Luckily I followed them up with a huge glass of water and refused to drink ANY more when offered.

Saturday I woke up feeling just peachy and got ready to set out for a 9 miler.  I've yet to do a long run early in the morning, so I failed to fuel before the run.  Luckily, it didn't seem to effect me much.  The run was ridiculously consistent for the first half, and then I allowed myself to pick up the pace on the back half.
  1. 9:13
  2. 9:13
  3. 9:12
  4. 9:14
  5. 9:09
  6. 9:03
  7. 8:59
  8. 8:46
  9. 8:05
I did the 9 in 1:20:58 for a pace of exactly 9:00.  Some highlights of the run:
  • I saw a mommy and baby deer around mile 5 1/2.  I was so excited I pointed it out to a runner in the opposite direction, who thanked me for showing him.  Once he had ran by, I checked to make sure no one else was looking, and waved.  :)
  • I saw a chick with fabulous abs and she inspired me to be dedicated with my ab work so I can run sans shirt and spike envy in people who see me.  Ha.
  • I took a Mocha Gu at about 3 1/2 miles.  Every time I have one, it gets a bit easier to suck down, but still not good.  I think they help though, so I'll keep on it.
  • Go girls!  I saw about 8 or 9 female runners to every 1 male runner.  That was pretty sweet.  Every time I saw another chica I wanted to yell out, "Girl Powa!"  In a British accent like the Spice Girls.  I refrained.  I figured waving to animals was quirky enough.  I did see a lot of women running together, and it made me jealous of not having a running pal.  Sad.
  • I did run by a girl who went to my rival school for sports.  She was their star basketball player that I always had to guard and try to keep her from scoring her season average of 25 points.  Maybe I'll facebook stalk her to see if she's looking for a running buddy.  I'm a genius sometimes.
  • I also saw an old coworker and his fiance, who used to play on my intramural basketball team in college.  Small world, small town, small bike trail.  :)
  • Light colored tops show off nippage much easier than darker tops.  Light pink tank was a poor investment.  I apologize for anyone who saw me miles 2-9.
After the run I attempted ice bath #1.  I stretched, chugged some water, ate a cereal bar and started filling up the tub.  Mental note for ice bath #2:  Start filling up tub during stretching time, so it's actually FULL when you're ready to use it.  Apparently my tub is slooooooow.  I had time to clean/scrub the toilet while it was filling!  I wanted to get a pic to commemorate the momentous occasion, but Taylor was still snoozing HARD, and my camera is so old school that
 it doesn't have the self-timer option.  Oh well.  To give you a mental image, I through on some swimsuit bottoms and an old school high school track hoodie, hood up.  I did have to tuck the bottom of the hoodie in to my sports bra, so it wasn't sitting in the water.  Um...that was a bad idea, as that's one of the um...sweatier areas post-run.  It was covered in sweat.  Yuck.

The initial shock of the ice bath was kind of intense, but after that it felt pretty awesome.  I definitely could've used more ice, but I only had a couple of buckets full.  Most of it had melted when the 15 minutes were up.  Next time, I need to remember how thick my quads are, the water was about 1/2 an inch to low to cover them completely.  :(  

After a successful long run and enduring my first ice bath, I was off to the running store to celebrate with a new pair of shoes.  :)  I knew which ones I was looking to get, the Nimbus 11 in pink, but I thought I would look around before.  Lucky for me, I found the Nimbus 10's (with the wonky side lacing) in pink, in a 7 1/2 on SALE.  Boom.  I swear I have the most average shoe size, so I rarely find my running shoes on sale.  So excited.  I decided to try them along with the 11's on to see which I preferred.  I previously had the 9's and HATED them, so I wanted to make sure the 10's had been updated enough.  

Both shoes felt exactly the same to me, and the 10's were $30 cheaper.  Guess which ones I chose.  :)  I figure by the time these ones are maxed out on miles, it will be close to the new 
release of shoes, so then I could get the 11's on sale.  Maybe that's wishful thinking, but it sounded like darn good reasoning to me.  I also got some Espresso Love Gu's and some Blueberry Pomegranite.  I'm hoping for deliciousness.

My apologies on the make-up free face and frizzy hair.  This is as cute as I look on Sundays.  :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those shoes are adorable & you look great!

I think it's funny that you made sure nobody was looking before waving to the deer. :)

Kathleen said...

yay! we have the same shoes, and they rock! haha. good job on your run!

No Longer Using said...

i love the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and WICKED cute shoes :) hehehe-- hey way to finish strong on that run!!!!!!! you rocked it! and i am loving ice baths lately, they make a huge difference :) oh.. and if you ever run by me PLEASE please please yell girl powahhh! hehehe. it will honestly make my day.

Glenn Jones said...

Beer and pizza? The ultimate carb load!

Great run, but Gu Mocha? Vanilla bean or Espresso Love are the onl two that I can stomach.....

And way to find a deal on the shoes!

Anonymous said...

NICE shoessss! Very snazzy, looking good. ;)

"Maybe I'll facebook stalk her to see if she's looking for a running buddy. I'm a genius sometimes." omg this cracked me up!! hahaha!

and I love the girl:guy running ratio too. although I bet the guys enjoyed it just as much ;)

J said...

My nimbuses have those funky laces too and i think i like it. i have found with the 9 milers (or 8 or 7 milers) in the morning i eat a piece of toast with PB and i am good to go. Anything over 10 miles i usually need more and something during the run to keep me going!!

Mica said...

Love the Nimbuses!

And awesome run--check out that 9th split! Woohoo! GIRL POWER!

Kim said...

Awesome splits! That's fun that you see so many people (and animals!) on your trail. I think it would be so neat if you starting running with that other girl!

Baylee♥ said...

WOW :) Ive NEVER EVER seen a runner from south dakota before :) Not too common!!

I actually grew up in the black hills area - sturgis to be exact. I see you're from...the vermillion area, im guessing? or sioux falls?

Nice job on the run! Hahaha you sound like me on my runs! I always find little things to entertain myself! And I looove the pink shoes!!

Jamie said...

Cute shoes! Great job on the 9 miles!!!

Sarah said...

Cute shoes and congrats on the sale! Also, those are great splits on your run. I saw a deer on my run this weekend too - it's such a great surprise.

Unknown said...

Super cute shoes! Great way to treat yourself. And, they were on SALE! Lucky you! :) -cw