Monday, October 2, 2017

Escape Spa Float


A few weeks ago, I booked an appointment at the Escape Float Spa in town. I've been taking epsom baths pretty religiously for the past year, but I was really excited to try out the pods. I had heard that they were great for sensory deprivation, and working in a public library, sometimes I just need a break from sensory overload (I'm also someone who's incredibly sensitive to sounds/noises, so I thought this would be great!).


I came in a few minutes early to fill out paperwork while setting up at the air bar, which comes with the float experience. Then I got a tour of the facility and a run down of how things would work. 


I had a 60-minute float, and I absolutely loved it. At points I felt like I was floating in space, and it was a pretty trippy experience. I failed to notice the earplugs that were set aside until after I completed my float, so I ended up with water in my ear. I figured it would eventually come out, but after dealing with crackling and an awkward feeling all weekend, Kyle finally poured some water into my ears so I could rinse the salt out. Noted: wear earplugs.


Despite the ear issue, I had a really lovely experience and can't wait to integrate the floats into my training and recovery more regularly! At the library, we end up working a 7 day stretch the week after our weekend to work, and I always notice that my sensory issues flair up with that week without a break. I hope to fit a float in during that week to calm my brain and sanity down a little bit. TBD how that works out!



No comments: