Friday, August 30, 2013

Spring Race Plans

Every time I get in the thick of my race training, I always start to think about "what's next."  I had tentatively planned for the Eugene Marathon next spring, but after it got switched to the summer, I was no longer interested.  I obviously don't have to decide any time soon, but I'm a big planner, so it's nice to think in advance.

Here are some of my options:


  1. Oz/Garmin Marathon in Olathe, KS.  I think I have Dominique on board for doing it if I decide to, plus it's a short drive from Kyle's bestie, so I think we'd have a place to stay, plus a super fun celebratory weekend.  The drive is about 5 hours which isn't terrible.  It's the end of April so it should still be cool, but being 5 hours south of here, it could be warm, and likely humid.  Possibly windy....
  2. Lincoln Marathon in Lincoln, NE.  Niki is trying to twist my arm on this one.  I could hang out and stay with her, meet her adorable TWINS, and enjoy a fairly flat marathon course.  It's the first weekend in May, so again it could be warm, humid, windy or all of the above.
  3. Brookings Marathon in Brookings, SD.  Meh.  My parents, Kyle's parents, and friends could spectate which would be awesome.  Kyle (or Megan, if she's not running the full/half) could probably bike sherpa for me if I asked really sweetly.  The downside:  it's always windy.  It's a pretty small race, so parts would probably be me running alone.  And I kind of like marathons to be destination-esque, because they're still a pretty big deal to me.
  4. Fargo Marathon in Fargo, ND.  The race was moved up a weekend which actually appeals to me.  The course is crazy flat, and the spectators are out of this world.  It was super fun in 2011 (despite a shitty race) because SO MANY of my runner friends did it, that I'm afraid it wouldn't be that great if no one else did it.  Perhaps I'll start campaigning now....
  5. Brookings half.  Maybe I'll go the spring half marathon route?  Attempt a few halfs in the spring, but keep the higher mileage to see if that helps me knock some time off my PR?  I did really enjoy the half course in 2012.  If I went this route, I'd probably try to do a half in Mpls in March, and another in St. Cloud in April.
Where are you racing this spring?  Would you like my company??  Now's your time to campaign!! :D

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm running my annual half marathon in Queens, NY! Check out the Allstate 13.1 NyC! I'm also charity team captain for my church so this will be extra fun!

Anonymous said...

Hello! I did the Earth Day Half in St. Cloud this year! It was chilly but it was a good race! It went through a lot of residential areas, but it's currently my half PR course so I kinda like the race!
You could also go for a late spring early summer race and do Grandma's in Duluth in June! I think I am going to make that my 3rd full marathon :)

Anonymous said...

Hello! I did the Earth Day Half in St. Cloud this year! It was chilly but it was a good race! It went through a lot of residential areas, but it's currently my half PR course so I kinda like the race!
You could also go for a late spring early summer race and do Grandma's in Duluth in June! I think I am going to make that my 3rd full marathon :)

Unknown said...

Just found your blog today and I love it :-) I'm running my first marathon next weekend, but am already dying to sign up for a spring one! Thinking of the Vermont City Marathon in May! Probably good that registration opens just AFTER I finish one marathon, just in case ;-)