Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Weekly Reads: Far From the Tree

Far from the Tree recently won the National Book Award, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. It was told from the perspective of three teens (which I hate) but was done so beautifully and wonderfully that I loved every second of it. Love love love.

My rating: 5 stars

Summary from goodreads:

A contemporary novel about three adopted siblings who find each other at just the right moment.

Being the middle child has its ups and downs.

But for Grace, an only child who was adopted at birth, discovering that she is a middle child is a different ride altogether. After putting her own baby up for adoption, she goes looking for her biological family, including—

Maya, her loudmouthed younger bio sister, who has a lot to say about their newfound family ties. Having grown up the snarky brunette in a house full of chipper redheads, she’s quick to search for traces of herself among these not-quite-strangers. And when her adopted family’s long-buried problems begin to explode to the surface, Maya can’t help but wonder where exactly it is that she belongs.

And Joaquin, their stoic older bio brother, who has no interest in bonding over their shared biological mother. After seventeen years in the foster care system, he’s learned that there are no heroes, and secrets and fears are best kept close to the vest, where they can’t hurt anyone but him.
 

1 comment:

Renee said...

I loved this book! I was trying to remember where I found it so had to scrolling back through your blog.