Friday, February 23, 2018

Getting Psyched for All Runs

Lately I've had a strange phenomenon going on, which is totally the opposite of the way I used to be. Previous runner Jeri had no problem getting out for 3, 4 and 5 miles. Easy miles are doable. Easy miles don't cause me to stress out. There is zero drama for these miles. Speed work? Tempo runs? Long runs? Well those brought all the drama.  I don't know how many times I talked myself out of a workout because I was so scared to fail.

Somewhere in the last 6 months my mindset switched, and I started to get excited for the workouts, and excited for the long runs. Certainly my fitness has improved and some races have gone well, so that plays a big part in it, but I've done a complete 180. A couple of weeks ago, Toni and my schedule didn't match up at all. Harumph. I had a 7 mile run with all the strides and all the hill pick ups, and I had to do it solo running loops around Tea. And it was great! I was psyched to do it. Finding pockets of lesser snow and ice became a game within the run, and getting that many miles in around this little town led me down new roads and routes.

Then I had 8 miles with tempo miles inside. Gulp. The hardest of hard. I've had a mental block with tempo paces and haven't been able to get below 8:50-9:15 for the last year. Same thing: solo run around town through all the snow and ice, working hard to get those tempo paces in the 8:30s as my recent race paces have indicated. And it was great! Perfect! I felt so strong.

But those 3 and 4 milers? Nope. Don't wanna.

In my defense it's been incredibly cold, snowy and icy, and it's one thing to suck it up and do the super important runs, and I'm psyched that I've been able to do that. But when you're going out to run slow and easy for recovery runs, the cold worries me even more!

But I also know that all runs are important and have a place. So I'm working on resetting my mindset. But also, dear god, will it be spring soon, please?!?!

No comments: