Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Heartbreaker + 1000 Miles

I would like to alternately title this post as Heartbreaker:  A Soleless Tale.  Eff I'm witty.

Dearest Nimbus Running Shoes,

You and I have been together since the beginning of this long distance running shenanigans.  I remember when I first set my eyes on the much loved green Nimbus 7's.  As we both know, it was love at first sight.  We've had our shares of ups and downs, and that's only to be expected with my fiery personality.  Heck, I've even given up running in the 7 years we've been together, but still have been loyal to you.  We trained for and completed my first marathon with a smile on my face and no injuries to be seen.

But lately..... lately things haven't been going so well.  Perhaps we have ourselves a case of the 7 year itch?  It's just not working anymore.  I swear... it's not you, it's me!  Ok, honestly, I think it is you.  You keep revamping yourself and increasing your prices, and I seem to be getting less and less miles out of you.  When I went to the running store today wearing my current pair, the dude working said they were shot, and only had 275 miles on them!  What happened to the 400-450 miles we used to be able to get together?  That was the final straw.

I must admit:  there's someone else.  It's a pretty recent thing, and it's not serious, but I do see the potential for greatness.  If not, there's always a chance I'll come running back to you.  Hell, you've seen my track record with my former loves, a second (or third) shot isn't out of the question.  We have history.  You never get over your first love.  I shall think of you fondly and hope you do the same.

Love Always,

Jerbear

*
Mizuno Wave Rider 13

After my trek to the running store for my new kicks, I hit up the gym to do some biking (it's been storming all day, blech).  I biked 15 miles in 1:01.  After I was done my knee felt pretty good and I had an idea....maybe just maybe I could hit up the treadmill.  You know.... just to test out my new kicks.... make sure they were a solid investment and all.  Or maybe it was because I've been at 999.4 miles since my knee started acting up last Thursday and it's SERIOUSLY KILLING ME.  Ahem.  Anyway, I thought the worst that could happen is that it would hurt and I would stop.

I started going and holy heavy legs.  Nothing like attempting a brick your first run back, dumb dumb.  My knee was slightly twingy for the first 1/4 of a mile, but after that it (and my quads) loosened up and we had ourselves a nice little mile jog.  :)  At .6 I was one smiley fool.  1000 miles....hollar!  And despite my mini set back, I still managed to complete the number of miles 3 months sooner than in 2010.  Heck ya.

*Can we discuss the fact that these shoes have sparkles on them?  I know I may have expressed my extreme distaste for sparkles with NFL apparel, but that is sooooo not the case when it comes to running shoes apparently.  I recall taking sparkly fingernail polish to the Nike swoosh sign on my spikes in high school to jazz em up a bit.  Flyyyyyyyyy.

19 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

I know two people who use Mizuno and love them. One of them will put in 100 mile weeks two-three months out of the year training for Ultra's.

Your experience with the recent Nimbus might be that particular pair only. I only say this due 7 NB 1062's I purchased. All but two pairs got me 250-75 miles without issues. The two that did not - both died at 150 miles.

Overall - since I am built like a short middle linebacker (heavy runner) - any shoe that gets me to 300 is golden.

Unknown said...

Great, I was entertained by the post. I learn more things on it. Thanks!!!




zbsports

Julie said...

Hi Jeri,
Congrats on the 1,000 miles girl! I still have some to go before I reach that point.

I only am able to get 250 to 300 miles out of my Asics...it seems like I am always purchasing new shoes. I wish that I could get more milkes out of them. I save the shorter mile runs for the older pairs.

Take care Jeri!

Anonymous said...

yay for 1,000 miles!!

Dwayne said...

Congrats on the 1000!

I'm a very devoted wearer of Brooks' Adrenaline GTS. I've had 4 pairs that i've retired over the past few years and have gotten anywhere from 275 to 500 miles out of them. I've found that I get more out of them if I have use them two at a time and rotate them through. Not sure if that matters or if it's just a mental things, but it seems to make them last a bit longer.

Anonymous said...

Nimbus... I gave up on him last year.

Good choice on letting him go and the rebound is a good choice as well :)

HUGE congrats on the 1000 miles for the year! Beast!

Quinton J said...

Nimbus...looks better in the bar after a few drinks then when you get'em home. Cute Post.

John said...

Loves me some Mizunos, but the high arches hurt my feet.

* insert sad face *

Congrats with the hitting the 1,000-mile mark!

KovasP said...

Parting is such sweet sorrow, but sometimes you have to go with the younger, hotter pair. Congrats on 1000.

Anonymous said...

If my Brooks ever let me down I don't know what I will do- they have been my go-to shoe forever!!!

Happy running with the new kicks!

Aron said...

yay new shoes!!! hope you looove them. bigger YAY for 1000 miles! nice job girl :)

meganmnelson said...

I had a similar break up with my Asics Kayanos. Sad, sad day but sometimes you just grow apart and need a change. Enjoy the sparkles!

Unknown said...

i dumped my brooks glycerins for nike zoom vomeros and my eyes haven't strayed since. although a hot pair of mizunos... focus, must focus ;))

Heather said...

Nice job getting the 1000 in! I wore the same sauconys forever and then they changed - wider, bigger, and I started hating them. Sometimes you just need a change. :)

I am really excited to meet you next weekend - it's coming fast!

Anonymous said...

I love you and I miss you. That is all.

J said...

Love the new shoes! They are really pretty! Glad your knee is feeling better!

Jamie said...

Yea for new shoes! Hope these last longer than nimbus. Congrats on 1000 miles!! Awesome!

Trying To Heal said...

bahahahaha!!! i use THOSE EXACT MODEL OF MIZUNO! woman, don't you listen to me when i write my posts about mizuno shoes? they're a godsend; the company is not just good at making baseball bats and helmets!!

haha, i hope these treat you well. i know they do me good!

Leanne said...

How did you decide on Nimbus 7's to begin with? How do you know when shoes are done? I recently went to a running store and they analyzed me slow motion on a treadmill and gave me motion control shoes that were way $$$ but I dont know if they are right for me. ugh! so frustrating I may adopt barefoot running just so I dont have to deal!