Friday, September 3, 2010

Runner's Christmas + Random Musings

When I came home from work on Monday, I opened my mailbox to runner's delights spilling out!!!  A pair of compression socks from Oxysox (review to come later) and a pair of Yurbuds that I won from Jill.
Yes, it does appear that one leg is longer than the other, no wonder I have so many random aches/pains.


Wednesday I could not bring myself to run my tempo run or my mile repeats, however, a bike ride sounded like the bee's knees.  I had planned to do an out and back on a portion of the bike trail for ~14 miles.  When I had 13 miles down, I decided I wanted to keep going to hit 25 miles.  Of course I made this decision while the wind was at my back, so I was hating life the last remaining 6 miles.  Sick.
Random musings from the ride:

  • When I don't have my iPod I have the same song on repeat in my head. For this ride it was Katy Perry's Teenage Dream over...and over.... and over.... And the worst part is that I don't know the words/lyrics to the song.  This excerpt was this one on repeat:
    • I might get your heart racing
      In my skin-tight jeans
      Be your teenage dream tonight
      Let you put your hands on me
      In my skin-tight jeans
      Be your teenage dream tonight
  • Except this is what was actually playing in my head:
    • Hmmm hmm hmm
      in my skin tight jeans
      hmm hmm hmm teenage dreams tonight
    • Hmmm hmm hmm
      in my skin tight jeans
      hmm hmm hmm teenage dreams tonight
  • I saw a guy biking with a bike helmet on (good) but with the chin strap unhooked (not good).  I wish I knew what his reasoning behind this was.... "Hmmm if I fall, the odds of me falling at x angle should give me 98% protection against the blow of the concrete to my cranium."  Perhaps he had this train of thought after a previous fall sans helmet chin strap.
  • More cleavage on the bike path.  Apparently I need to get the ladies OUT....more aerodynamic er something.
  • I suck at doing math while working out (not brand new information, mind you).  I ended up doing 24.5 miles.  I suck.
I did 24.5 miles in 1:39:54 (14.7 mph).

Thursday I finally sucked it up and decided to do my mile repeats.  Although I did take it down from 5 to 3, because really, who needs 5 mile repeats??  [shudders]  Four last week literally almost killed me.  I  had to hit up the treadmill at the gym, because -news flash- the sun sets ridiculously early now, and Aaron has yelled at me far too much about running by myself at dark.

The repeats were tough but not terrible, and I honestly could've squeaked out another, but was very hungry.  Mental note:  You sweat a lot at the gym.  Please keep this in mind when selecting shorts to wear.  Please stick to navys and blacks to avoid broadcasting your severe swass to the entire gym population.

I rocked my repeats in 7:23, 7:25, 7:25.


Check out Miss Zoe's giveaway!!

6 comments:

Mica said...

Ugh, no one needs five mile repeats. Ew! Nice work on them though!

I don't see much cleavage when biking. I'm missing out, yo!

Heather said...

Nice mile repeats. I don't know about cleavage making you more areodynamic - I'm usually letting the girls hang out (not to be whorish, just because that's what they do) and it doesn't seem to speed me up much . . .

Evolving Through Running said...

Great pacing on the repeats. Liking the term 'swass'. That's a new one for me - have to remember that.

Where exactly is this bike path? In the interest of scientific integrity I could be persuaded to give a third-party ruling on the overall cleavage factor in effect. Strictly in the interest of science, of course.

Glenn Jones said...

Do you have any idea how good it makes me feel to hear that even you are having trouble facing your training schedule? Maybe there is hope for me afterall.

The Boring Runner said...

Very cool on the Yurbuds. I love mine - they really DO stay in as well as you'd think.

i never understood the helmet w/out a strap either

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear you are loving the Yurbuds- they are the BEST aren't they!!! Love them.

Those compressions look major comfy!