Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Training Programs :: Runners as Alcohol :: Alcoholic


I recently realized that half of the run of racing/running/training is to find/create the perfect training program. Since I'm rapidly approaching my half-marathon (September 13th to be exact, 11 days, but who's counting?) I'm starting to think, "What's next?"

Some of you may recall my last 5k being just shy of breaking 24 minutes (24:02 or 24:04 depending on who's watch you are going by :p). This race was done with a strained ab, and prior to doing it, I had a goal of 23:30 if healthy. Well, shocker, but I'd really like to see if I could get that time before the end of the year. Since it'll be snowing buckets probably by mid-October (why do I live in the Midwest again?) I need to get in a race asap-post-half-marathon. Lucky me, there's a race Oct. 10th here in town. I think it might be a small-ish race again, so I would also have a shot at placing, which would maybe give me just the extra push I need for speed. :) (cheesy alert, whoa).

I plugged in my last 5k time or my goal half marathon time, or was it my trial run half marathon time? Who knows it was a couple of days ago.... anyway, here's what Runners World spit out (along with some modifications from me of course). Check out the projected finish time..23:49.  Perfect-o!


What do you think? Dumb of me to want to race a 5k 4 weeks after my half-marathon? Cool as long as I can stay healthy? Stupid to only rest 3 days post-hm? I'm pretty excited about it, to be honest, and it helps to keep me motivated before I have to start training for the Dallas-White Rock Half Marathon which I just registered for!!!! (And purchased my plane ticket yesterday, double whoo!!!)


After going somewhat nutty over the length of this hm training schedule (12 weeks), I'm keeping this next one at 10 weeks. Isn't it magical how that 5k just bridges the gap? Yes yes, it is.

***P.S. The fact that the website shows people running in tanks and shorts in December has me giggling...simply CAN. NOT. WAIT.***

I'm currently revising the HM training schedule that RW spit out for me.  Based on my current mileage, it seems to think that I need to be doing 40+ miles the last few weeks of training.  Um..no.  Also, I'm eliminating the latter mile repeat workouts to sub in some 800 meter or 400 meter repeats.  And for the first time ever, I think I'd like to do a 14 mile long run (hello distance run PR).

Anyway, like I said, half the fun is creating the schedule that's going to get you from Day 1 to Race Day, so I'll probably stretch out the editing process until I have it down to perfection.  I'm excited already and I haven't even ran my September race yet!  :p

Go here for a super sweet yoga mat giveaway.  If you win, you can give it to me because you love me so much.  :)  But seriously, if you do go, let her know that I sent you, so I get an extra shot at winning.

9 comments:

Jamie said...

You'll have fun in Dallas - great race! I finished my first marathon there in 50 degree weather. It was fabulous! Usually not that cool though.

Anonymous said...

you'll be Fiiine doing the 5K after your half. no problems at all (take this from me, I've done way too many races this summer ;) )

i love the idea of signing up for WARM locations once it gets cold. but, SNOW in October over there? um, ew. Dallas will welcome you

J said...

You should be fine running the 5k 4 weeks afterwards. As for the 3 rest days - just see how you feel. I think I took off maybe 2 days and then on the third did a little run to get my legs moving. It depends on the person and the race but I am sure you will be fine!

Mica said...

Yay, a new race! That's exciting. And I know you can break 24minutes. Wahoo!

RunToTheFinish said...

you can totally do a 5k in 4 weeks from your race. Just remember to give yourself at least 1 really solid week to recover and then you'll be ready to o

X-Country2 said...

You should be fine to run a 5k that many weeks after a hm. Just listen to you body those first couple days. You have plenty of time, so don't risk injury right otu of the shoot.

Amy said...

Yes, you should be just fine running a 5K a month after a half marathon. In fact, you've built up a nice base for yourself that will probably help, not hinder, a 5K performance.

No Longer Using said...

i was like... alcohol?!

lol you seriously are making me want to sign up for a bunch of races!!!!! i don't think 4 weeks is too soon at all! in fact i think it is perfect timing because you'll be super fit and also recovered and with a shorter distance you'll be able to really let loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Heather said...

I think your plan for an October 10 5K is perfect - you'll be ready!