Monday, May 24, 2010

Running Buddy + Race Recovery

Something fabulous has occurred.  I may have met a running buddy sole mate for realsies this time. :)  I joined the Daily Mile a few weeks ago.  A girl added me as a friend (or I added her, either way it was FATE hah).  After looking at her training runs and race times I realized we were pretty much exactly the same speed.  Of course she was coming to this same realization at the same time and sent me a message letting me know that very information.  :)  After reading through her blog secretly (while she was also reading through my blog secretly) we deemed ourselves new best friends, without meeting, or actually speaking in person.  My god runner's are odd, no?

She was one of my best cheerleaders from afar during race weekend, and Monday night we planned an ice cream date to talk all about the race as well as her upcoming Fargo marathon (May 22nd).  Uh...ice cream....running talk?  Jenn, if you didn't have a hubby, I probably would've proposed to you right then and there!  If you aren't already reading her blog, here's another Jeri-endorsed-read-this-blog-yo!  PurpleShoe Runs If anything head there to read her race report from Fargooooooooo which I'm sure will be up soon if it isn't already!!  I can't wait until we're both recovered from our 'thons and can actually do the running buddy shiz. :D  [If I was a good blogger, I would've brought my camera and there'd be a smiling picture of us inserted right here, but I'm not, so use your imagination.]

____________________
Recovery has been not so fun.  You mean you can't run during recovery, wth?  Ok, I knew that, but I had this strange idea it was because you wouldn't want to run, not because you were physically unable to.  I spent some major time with Mr. Ice Pack Monday through Thursday.  I also did some mad stretching especially in the mornings when I felt like a creaky old lady.  Thursday I decided to take out Miss Polly and ride my bike to work (since I would be unable to on Friday which is actually Bike to Work day in my city).  Conveniently I live a nice 5k from work.  Yes, I know I'm blessed to live that close, hence why I drive like 10 miles/month. :p  By the time I got to work my quads were tiiiiiiired.  I think they were still in recovery mode plus biking into the wind with one gear is never an easy task. :)  Biking home was a breeze.  Literally, I had the wind at my back.  Did you know everyone smiles at a girl with a bright yellow bike?  It's fact.

I finally got my first run in Friday after work in holy crap it's hot weather.  Seriously.  I thought I was wearing pants and a jacket last week on my runs???  What's with this 80-90 degrees?  When I started out, I immediately started to feel all the places that were aching the latter parts of the marathon.  My hips felt like they needed replacing and my IT bands didn't take long until they were tired.  I stuck with the plan and did an easy 2 mile route, stopping at .75 to stretch stretch stretch, and stretching really well when I got home.  After stretching round 1, everything felt really great, except the IT bands were still pretty tight.  When I got home I had a nice little date with my rolling pin (which I had forgotten to bring to Green Bay with me, UGH!)  Hurts. So. Good.

I did 2 miles in 18:52 for a pace of 9:26.
1. 9:33
2. 9:19

13 comments:

Chris said...

Sweet bike!!! I have one that is very similar...but green.

Emz said...

the bike is awesome!!

way to go on the run! :)

Jamie said...

Yea for running buddies! Maybe I need to join daily mile to find one. Hope the legs are feeling better. It always takes me about a week to start feeling runner normal again after a marathon.

Heather said...

I love your bike!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Love the bike :) Way to go on the run!!!

Anonymous said...

the rollin pin rox...this hot weather acclimation does not...BLAH...

..:danielle:.. said...

i just saw your message you left on my sugarloaf post... the similarities are freeeeeaky!! i just creeped many (almost all) your past blog entries (im bored at work haha). love it when i find a runner/blogger who writes and lives just like me (will take ice cream over running any day).

im glad youre doing las vegas over disney. did the disney half a few years back and it was boring.

glad to have found you. eager to read more :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah for a running buddy. My friend Kate, who I have known for over a year, and I just ran together for the first time this week and neither of us can believe we waited this long!!!

KovasP said...

Awesome about the running buddy! I've yet to find someone who I want to run with (too fast, too slow, too far, too weird, too...). All my friends on DM don't live near me. :(

Julie said...

Hi Jeri,
Woo hoo for finding a running buddy:) I will have to check out that daily mile too! I am glad to hear that recovery is going well for you! Thank God for ice packs:) Jeri, I hope that you have a great day!!

RunToTheFinish said...

ahhh there is nothing like finding a running mate

X-Country2 said...

Awww running buddies are the best! You two need to plan a race together STAT.

Glenn Jones said...

Don't stress about recovery. Recovery willhappen when recovery makes up it's damn mind that it's time.

For a change I think it's colder here than there. It snowed in the nearby mountains last week. Hmmm....