Thursday, October 17, 2013

Words I Never Thought I'd Say

I was cold on my run last night.

I know, I'm as shocked as you are.  Miss "I'm Sweating Just *Thinking* About Running."

In my defense, I started a 2ish hour run 20 minutes before the sunset.  It was a glorious 50 degrees.  No wind.  Sun still slightly to the west.  I wore shorts and a t-shirt, because it was perfect weather.  I was cool until mile one, and then I warmed up, aka perfect running weather.  IMO, if you're not cold during the first mile, you're going to be hot as hell before too long.

The sun set, and the temps dropped (duh).  And I was fine until I got to a busy intersection.  Because of the setting sun, I had to do a residential route for the last 7 miles, meaning a) I almost got hit 7 different times, no joke (stop signs?!!? Let's roll through those or not even stop, amiright?!?) b) I had to stop at busy intersections.  I managed to do pretty well for the first mile of only stopping once, so I was just dandy, but an intersection around mile 6 had me standing and waiting, 2x.

When I first started to run again, my teeth were chattering.  My hands were frozen.  What was I thinking??  I should've worn long sleeves so I could pull them down once it got cold.  I debated (HEAVILY) turning around and cutting the run short.  But then I realized I was still two miles from home, so either way I was going to be cold for at least another 20 minutes.  So my chattering teeth and I continued on.  Sure enough, within another mile I was warm again.  Phew.

Someone remind me of this potentially hypothermic (me? dramatic?? no....) moment in the Madison Marathon which is sure to be perfectly cold, possibly freezing, literally, if I want to take a walk break.  Because clearly walk breaks will lead to hypothermia.  :)

**For the record, it was 39* when I got home, so it's slightly justified that I was cold after standing still for a couple of minutes after being soaked in sweat.  My hands also turns a creepy combo of stark purple and yellow-y/absence of color-y immediately post run.  But hey!  It was a super awesome mid-week LR.  So I got that going for me, which is good.

1 comment:

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

I don't mind running in 100* weather but when it starts going below 50* I can barely handle it! lol... I'm pretty sure it's justified that you were cold... just sayin! ;)