Thursday, April 30, 2009

favorite running weather

I set out to do a 40 minute tempo run after work and knew I needed to hustle because my boyfriend's softball team was having their first games of the season and I wanted to be there to cheer him on.  Holy run on sentence.  Oh well.  The weather all day was glooooomy.  Raining on and off and just grey and dull.  When I got home from work, I realized it was my favoritest weather to run in.  It was 57-60 degrees and heavy "spitting" or very light misting if that makes more meteorological sense to you.  It's perfection.  Warm, so that the rain is welcomed, but not drenching which with inevitably leave you freezing.  What weather is your fave fave fave to run in?

Unfortunately I was having some severe side-aches (non related to the ab strain previously mentioned, thankfully) immediately starting the run.  Taylor was a sweetheart (seriously I think he gets 7 1/2 awesome boyfriend points for this week already) and brought me my favorite food for lunch:  bagels.  AND he got me a caramel latte on top of that.  Seriously.  sweet.  Extra funny because the receptionist lady at my work place thought he was a delivery boy and looked at him REALLY strangely when he took a drink of my latte while waiting for me to come rescue him.  ANYWAYS.  Back to the point:  I'm lactose intolerant.  So the cream cheese + melted muenster cheese + steamed latte milk = very upset/pissed off stomach for the rest of the day.  I know.  I'm dumb.  I take lactaid pills occasionally, but sometimes I forget, and sometimes I just don't, and sometimes my body is more "tolerant" of dairy and it doesn't matter.  Apparently yesterday was a not so tolerant day.

About .1 miles into my run, I changed it from a tempo run to an easy 3 which was what was slated for today.  I really didn't want to since it's supposed to be insanely windy today, but it was probably best, as I would've been hurting the whole time.  3 miles in 26:07 for a 8:43 pace.  Which is insanely consistent with yesterday's easy 3 mile in 26:02 on a different route.  Yay consistency.  

My splits (not so consistent but eh?):
Mile 1:  9:11
Mile 2:  8:55
Mile 3:  7:59 (holy speedster me)

During the third mile I may have pretended I was doing the final mile of the 1/2 in September and wanted to finish strong.  Oh.  I don't think I've mentioned this.  The bike trail I've been running on is actually the final 3-4 miles of the 1/2 I run every September.  The last .2-.3 actually goes right in front of my place.  I'm thinking of making myself a sign and putting it in my yard for motivation.  Ha.

Last night and this morning I watched Synecdoche New York.  I have been so excited for this movie as it's written and directed by Charlie Kaufman who is one of my favorite:  Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Adaptation, Being John Malkovich.  It was...weird.  I tend to have to watch his movies a couple of times to really get it, so I'll probably give it another go.  Has anyone else seen it/enjoy really effed up movies?

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Sorry to hear about the side cramps but way to finish the 3 miles strong! My fav running weather is overcast and in the 50's - perfection!

Mica said...

Ugh, lactose intolerance sounds rough. Sorry that it cramped your style yesterday.

Not THAT much though--FAST last split, lady!

Finally, I am all over that idea of you making a sign for yourself. Make it the biggest and most ostentatious sign EVER.

Denise said...

Just found your blog...it's cute. And I smiled that you're favorite food is bagels!! You're an easy date!! That was very sweet of him.

Aron said...

i love weather in the 40's... when the sun is out but the air is really cool :)

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

Oh man please please put out a sign for yourself! That would be so great.

My fave weather is high 60s with a nice breeze!