Thursday, April 23, 2009

You can never have too many.....

Running shorts. Seriously. I have a sick, sick obsession. Like many/most/all(?) of you, I am obsessed with Nike Tempo running shorts. Every time I read someone's newest race report, it's almost always accompanied by a photo--outfit complete with nike tempo shorts. And each time I see said photos, I think "ooooooooh. I don't have 'em in that color yet!" Key word: yet. Who do I think I am? Who needs that many pairs of the exact same running shorts? Me. Me. Me. Some people buy designer jeans or shoes, I buy shorts.

Those tricky folks at nike.com sent me an email the other day. You know, those emails that you usually delete before even reading and enticing you to spend your hard earned money. Jerks. But it said "take an additional 20% off already clearanced items." Ooooh. I wonder if they have any shorts! Seriously, first thought. And of course they did.

I don't even like purple. It just fell into the category of "A Color I don't currently Have."

And then I thought to myself, that I only have fall-type racing tops and I should just "look" and see if they "happened" to have any for "cheap." Of course they did. Stupid Nike. So I bought this too. :)

I even justified the shirt purchase by saying to Taylor, "Wow. Look how fast I'll look in this shirt." I'm a fool. But a fool with some sweet new running stuff. :)



Last night I had a 40 minute tempo run. I decided to do it outside, which was a bit of a switch up, as I usually do them on the treadmill so I can monitor/adjust the speed so I know where I'm at. I ran the first mile-ish at about 9:40 and kept that pace, or just slightly faster until 15 minutes in. The next 20 minutes I ran anywhere from 8:10-8:30-a pace that is incalculable (but I imagine to be right around there), the last 10 minutes was probably around 9:30. I had meant to do 15 minutes warm-up, then 10 at a faster pace, and then another 15 slowed down, but once I got in the groove, I didn't want to stop. Plus there was a "serious runner looking guy" that I was on the heels of for about 3/4 of the quicker pace, and I just did not want to give up on passing him. He finished before I passed him, FYI. Which means he quit in my book, which means I won (also in my book).



The weather was ridiculously hot. 85-ish? The warmest I've ran in is 66 thus far, so that was quite a shock to the ol' system. I think I may have panted like a dog when I was done for about 15 minutes. However, apparently my body is not equipped in the same manner as a dog's is, because the panting did nothing to lower my body temp. This morning I woke up and did some yoga before work, and now I have nothing planned except some ab work and push ups until Saturday=race day.



Everyone, please send your speediness my way. It should be a good day!! :) And go on, spill it: How many pairs do you own (or just running shorts in general if you don't worship at the House of Nike Tempo Shorts)? Maybe I'll reveal my answer if it's not as bad in comparison. Ha.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I just found your blog through Kristin (ChasRunner). I am addicted to running clothes too, especially shorts and skirts. We have a Nike outlet here and I buy them up in every color, then wonder why they don't all fit in my drawer. We need an intervention!

Jamie said...

Oh I am so bad about buying too many running clothes. The hubbie is a bit annoyed. I love Nike though! Great job on the run and super cute new shorts!

J said...

Ok i admit I have alot of shorts. But those nike tempo shorts dont fit me right. I have a pair of mediums and they feel just a tid too small. i have tried on the larges and I am like swimming in them! what is the deal!

Cindy said...

i like the purple pair! my fave pair is orange--i will be so sad when those get old.

Aron said...

LOL you dont even want to know :) I think after my addition of 2 this weekend I have 14 maybe? All nike tempo track shorts too :) yayyy haha.

The second marathon in May is JUST for fun! I am not racing it, but all my friends (ROHOs) are running it so I couldnt say no :) I might be regretting it that day haha, but it should be fun!

Which one are you going to do next May? Do you know yet?

Mica said...

I have three pairs of tempo track shorts, and I really want a red pair. (It will soon be mine, mwhahahaha!)

I'm sending what speediness I have your way!

chia said...

I feel grossly inadequate :-). I only have a pink pair of under armour shorts and a green pair of nike tempo shorts. I do have three running skirts too though... I feel bad owning more running clothes than days I run per week so I tend to keep it simple. One time, I was completely thrown off because I wore the "this makes my ass look fast" urban combat loin cloth (camoflauge running skirt) on a long run day when usually it only makes appearances on speed days. Couldn't stay on pace the entire run... sad story rabbit!

Best wishes on your race!!! Many speedy prayers mate!

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

I actually don't like those shorts! But honestly I havent tried them on in a while so maybe I will like them now.

I love buying new running stuff!