Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Weekly Reads: The Island of Dr. Libris

The Island of Dr. Libris is the newest book by Chris Grabenstein. I absolutely adored Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library. I recommend this book left and right at my library, and the kiddos eat it up. So when I got an advanced reader copy to read and review before the book's publication in March, I was ecstatic!

However, I was less than ecstatic about the book, unfortunately. It was good, but it wasn't OMG fantastic as I was hoping/expecting. I loved the classic book characters, but the story itself fell somewhat flat for me. I do think kids will enjoy it, but it is not a home run like Mr. Lemoncello was.

My rating: 3 stars.


Summary from goodreads:

Chris Grabenstein, author of the New York Times bestsellingEscape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library and coauthor of the I Funny series with James Patterson, celebrates the power of imagination with this action-packed adventure that shows that sometimes the real story starts after you close the book!
 
What if your favorite characters came to life? Billy’s spending the summer in a lakeside cabin that belongs to the mysterious Dr. Libris. But something strange is going on. Besides the security cameras everywhere, there’s Dr. Libris’s private bookcase. Whenever Billy opens the books inside, he can hear sounds coming from the island in the middle of the lake. The clash of swords. The twang of arrows. Sometimes he can even feel the ground shaking. It’s almost as if the stories he’s reading are coming to life! But that’s impossible . . . isn’t it? 

No comments: