Friday, November 24, 2017

Last Minute 2017 Goal REVISED



At the tail end of 2016, when my running was going well, I made the goal to run 1000 miles for 2017. I hadn't run 1k miles in a year since 2011 when I ran 1300+ miles. In my running career I've hit 1000 miles in 2009, 2010, and 2011. 2012 I was close with 924. Since then I've had 600-700/year and 2015 when I had 141.5. What?!? I've ran more than that in a month this year. Craziness.

Knowing I have big goals ahead, I've used my data from previous years as a guide. 2010 and 2011 were my two best years of running (all the PRs, all the strong races, all the speed), and 2009 served as an incredible base year cracking 1000 miles for the first time, landing at 1020. So for 2017, 1000 was the goal!

The online tracker I use allows you to put in monthly mileage goals as well as annual goals, and gives you a nice visual to see how far ahead or behind you are to that goal, how many miles you need to average per day to meet that goal, as well as what you are projected to hit based on your current progress. LOVE. I love data. And this little visual.

Most of the year I've been slightly ahead of that 1000 goal. But I never got overly confident, because I know that I tend to be more injury prone than the average runner. But as October was wrapping up and I had two full months to run 100 miles, I considered bumping up that goal.

Why not 1100?

So that's the new goal for 2017. Some of that is weather dependent, as it could turn very winter, very soon here, but I think it's a good goal to keep me right around 100 miles/month. Also some running friends are planning for a 20 or 17 mile long run on NYE, so if I needed some extra padding, I have that to fall back on.

What's your annual mileage goal?

Do you even track it bro? (jk) I'm constantly asking Toni what she's at for mileage, and she never knows and has to manually tabulate it every once and awhile when I get nosy. She also promised to give me a chart of our miles together and solo and I haven't even SEEN THAT RENDERING YET. :P

Are you someone who can run the year without breaking yourself? This has always been a back of the brain goal that I just don't think is attainable, but I'm still semi-obsessed with it.

No comments: