Monday, September 28, 2009

The Speedwork that Was (finally!) + Long (short) Run

Phew. I didn't ditch the speedwork on Thursday. Finally. Although it did take place at the gym. Oh well, I find it easier to do speed work on the treadmill because then I don't have to look down at my watch so stinkin' much. :)

I had 1 mile warm up, 3 x 800 m. in 3:43 (7:26 pace) with 400 m. jogs after, and 1 mile cool down on the agenda. While running, I positioned myself in front of a college football game. Suddenly I realized, I'm officially too old to chase after college football players. Sad. Unless they're 5th or 6th years, I suppose, but that either means they're dumb (boo!) or highly injury prone. Hah.

My legs felt pretty good during the run, and I was excited to finally speed things up a bit. I haven't done speed work since the week before my half (Sept. 4th!! geez!)

1 mile warm up 9:31
800 m. #1 3:33 (7:06 pace)
400 m. recovery 2:36 (10:24 pace)
800 m. #2 3:32 (7:04 pace)
400 m. recovery 2:33 (10:12 pace)
800 m. #3 3:36 (7:12 pace)
400 m. recovery 2:28 (9:52 pace)
1 mile cood down 9:48

Total time: 37:37 for 4.25 miles in 8:52 pace. Speedwork pace: 7:07 for 1.5 miles.

I had a bit of tightness in my IT Band during the cool down, but no real significant pain anywhere else. A little rolling pin action did the trick just fine post run. I do have to comment on the gym gawkers. FYI, when working out at the gym at night, the full length windows = mirrors. If you're staring at a girl's booty while she runs, she WILL be able to tell that you're ogling her goodies. Jeepers. It was almost comical how many people didn't realize I could tell exactly what they were looking at while ellipticallizing (make up word, pretty sure.)

Or is it a short LONG run.....?

Friday I got to scadaddle out of work at noon because I had come in on Saturday (blech). I was heading up to Minneapolis to one of my best friend's weddings, and was going to meet up with my best friend who is back from Korea before she heads to Cambodia, and to see a bunch of other college folks. Before I left I had to squeeze in a long run. By the time I got home, I realized there was no time for 9 miles, and down graded to 7. Who needs to run 9 miles when training for a 5k? Not this girl. :)

It was a pretty uneventful run as it had been raining most of the morning, so the trails were pretty dead. I hadn't eaten any food prior to the run, so I was definitely dragging until I took my first Gu at mile 2. I really don't remember much about the run except that I almost ditched my long sleeves to go in just my bra. Not sure how the weather can change in one hour from cold enough to need sleeves to too warm to wear a shirt. Icky.

1. 9:39
2. 9:38
3. 9:29
4. 9:25
5. 9:24
6. 9:13
7. 8:39

7 miles in 1:05:32 for a pace of 9:22.

I tried to keep my pace pretty conservative since I had a hard speed workout only 16 hours before, but couldn't help put push the last mile. I was on a time frame (I literally had an itinerary drawn up so that I could get everything done I needed to and get on the road by 3, my goodness!)

Still to come, why I want to move to Minneapolis, and pics from the most beautiful wedding ever. Also, if you would like some entertaining tales about my adventures driving to Minneapolis and getting lost, let me know, it could make it into the next post. Haha.

8 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

JerBear - new to your blog. Thanks for calling out the ogglers! At what temp does it get too cold to run where you live? We lived in Topeka, KS for a few years. There was a point - usually below 29 degrees I just had to say no run today. Keep kickin' the dirt!

RunToTheFinish said...

way to go on getting the speedwork done.. I would probably feel more self conscious in front of the college boys than the weirdo ogglers...I usually know I could knock them down lazy buggers.

yeah for fun weddings!!

Kathleen said...

HOLLAAA! Good job at speedwork- I always have to push myself so hard to force myself to actually do it, but you did amazing :)

Anonymous said...

ha, getting lost is like a staple in my road trip adventures. ALWAYS happens. dangit.

nice speed workout! I like doing mine on treadmills too, and people kinda look at me like I'm crazy when I say that. it just takes the guessing out of it! aaand, I guess that makes it "easier" - psh. still gets the job done ;)

Mica said...

Ew, gym gawkers, so lame.

Unknown said...

Ugh to the dirty pervs! But on the other hand, you're never to old to chase after young college players :)

Aron said...

nice job on your runs girl!!

No Longer Using said...

nice job with the speed work :) guess what??? you won the caption contest!!! head over to my blog to check it out! and email me your address asap!! :)