Monday, November 1, 2010

Tough Tempo + Runner Doolittle

Since I had been putting off my tempo run due to cold temps and insane wind trapping me indoors, it was finally time to take care of it on Thursday.  I was to do 10 miles with 8 at tempo pace of 8:28.  It was so stinkin' cold it took awhile for me to warm up.  Literally.  When I got about 4 miles from home I realized that it was pretty dark, so I decided to turn around at 4.5 miles and not do a cool down lap.  Cool downs are for sissies.  (jk, I totally did a quick walk in lieu of a full jogging mile).  This was seriously one of the tougher workouts I've done.  Miss Alyssa was totally my inspiration on this run, because she had knocked out an 8 miler a couple of days previously at what "felt like an easy pace" and was at 8:05 or something crazy fast like that.  Alyssa when did you leave me in your dust?!?!?  :(

Anywho, I didn't quite hit my goal pace, averaging 8:30 for my tempo miles, but I was still pretty impressed with my run.  Usually when I start sucking on a tempo run, I find a reason to quit and just take the remaining miles at an easy pace.
1. 9:29 
2. 8:29 
3. 8:31 
4. 8:24 
5. 8:27 
6. 8:35 
7. 8:35 
8. 8:29 
9. 8:35

I was a little bummed that I wasn't able to kick it any faster for the final mile, but then John tweeted that I did great on the run, and bet that I couldn't have done that a year ago.  Well then, I had to set about proving him wrong.  :)  For some reason I have it in my head that I'm roughly the same speed that I was a year ago, but he was right.  Last year at this time my tempo paces might've been a little faster but they were also only 4-5 miles tops.  Then I had to check the last round of MARATHON TRAINING!!!!!  and realized that this run was actually at a faster pace (and longer distance) than those tempo runs too.  Fine, you win this time.  :)


The coolest part of the run was running up on a mama deer and her baby deer during the final mile (hey maybe that's why it wasn't super speedy, I slowed down not to scare off the deers...duh....).  I have this weird habit of greeting animals when I run up on them to make sure they understand that I am friend and not foe, but I swear one of these times there's going to be someone within ear shot and I'm going to start to be known as "that weirdo Dr. Doolittle wannabe runner chick."  Can't wait.....

7 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

If that is being a weirdo - I am guilty as well.

Anonymous said...

9 mile tempos are not something to be taken lightly - any speed faster than "comfortable" sounds good to me ;)

Steel Springs said...

I've read that the level of the effort is more important than the pace for the tempo runs. You put in a great effort and stuck with it when it wasn't going well...that's got to be doubly good for your overall training. Nice job on the improvement over the last year!

Amy - the gazelle said...

Nice job!

I also talk to the animals when I come across them during a run. I don't think it's weird. Of course, it's possible that I'm weird, too! :)

Glenn Jones said...

This is tremendous Jeri! The key t dropping your marahon time is being able to push those tempo type runs out to 10 to 14 miles. Way to go!

Evolving Through Running said...

Looks like a great tempo run to me. I've not pushed a tempo run beyond 6 miles, so you're way ahead of me.

Has there ever been an occasion when you had to greet a deer as foe? Any particularly rough deer gangs near you? I do the same thing when I come across critters when running. Also wave at everyone when I pass them, but I've found lots of the deer are more friendly than the runners.

Jamie said...

Nice job on the long tempo run!