Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book Blunder

My manager at work is a reader, so frequently we'll update each other on what we've read lately and what we think the other one would enjoy.  The other day I came in to work, and she asked if I had read Fifty Shades of Grey.  I said that I hadn't been had just added it to my "to-read" list when I was at Barnes and Nobles the other day.  It looked good, but like it could be a really heart-wrenching read.  She said it was good so far, but there were some definitely "dirty" parts to it.  Which confused me... a lot.

So I looked up the book that I thought she had recommended:


Between Shades of Gray (Goodreads synapsis)
It's 1941 and fifteen-year-old artist Lina Vilkas is on Stalin's extermination list. Deported to a prison camp in Siberia, Lina fights for her life, fearless, risking everything to save her family. It's a long and harrowing journey and it is only their incredible strength, love, and hope that pull Lina and her family through each day. But will love be enough to keep them alive?

and realized it was not, in fact, Fifty Shades of Grey:

(Goodreads synapsis)
When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

_____
Yes, definitely not the book I was thinking of....


But now, of course I have to read it immediately.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

haha! thats awesome and totally something I would have done. let me know what you think...its been a buzz lately....

..:danielle:.. said...

i cant wait to read it... when i can find it! i almost bought the 2nd book in the series at the book store with sarah (above haha) and then realized it wasnt the one i wanted. all the book stores around here are out of it.

B. Kramer said...

My sister-in-law got my wife to read it ... she was not impressed. And I've heard some ridiculous stories about people trying to buy the hard copy for hundreds of dollars. People, the e-book is $9.99! You might as well buy a Kindle or Nook and get it that way than buy the overpriced print edition. Cheers!