Monday, June 16, 2014

Marathon Training Starts Today!

Today is day one of my seventh cycle of MARATHON TRAINING! After a lot of reading and analyzing training programs, I decided to go with the same type of training program that I did for my first race in Green Bay (and still my PR). It's 17 weeks long. I normally prefer 14-16 weeks when I'm in good shape, but I have a few races planned in there and don't want to short myself on long slow distance runs.

I'm racing a 10k on the fourth of July (unless it's 1200 degrees, I learned my lesson on this race a few years ago), a half marathon in August (in which PR thoughts are already a-dancin' in my head), and the Sioux Falls half (my 10th consecutive time running!) in which I'll be running six at GMP.

I'll be running 4x/week for the first 10 weeks, and then 5x/week for the remainder of the cycle. I think this will help me stay consistent with my running, as I'll usually have a rest day after major workouts. During the past few Pfitz cycles, I would be so sore, I'd scrap a run to lower my risk of injury. Long run, tempo or speed session, and two 6-10 mile general aerobic paced runs.

Since I'm only running 4 days a week, I also want to try to throw in a 20-30 mile bike ride a week, weather permitting. I think this'll help with my strength and fitness without taxing my joints too majorly.  Fingers crossed I'll be able to keep getting myself out of bed to run before work, because it looks like it'll be a hot summer of training.

See you in 17 weeks Bemidji!


No comments: