Friday, November 7, 2014

Auto PR Goal Race

When I was plotting out my training for the Aramco Houston Half Marathon, I checked the area running calendar for local races to consider. I found a Thanksgiving morning race that is low frills, no shirt, no timing chip, and the suggested race fee or hygiene package donation goes directly to The Banquet that serves individuals in my community that are in need. Win, win!

They have a 1 mile, 3 mile, and 6 mile course as well as a newly added bike course, so I decided a 6 mile race would be great: auto PR! But beyond that, it lets me spend a month focusing on speed work before I really start concentrating on the Houston Half.

My training program leading up to the 6 miler is fairly low in mileage since I'm still working on some form issues, and want to be sure that I don't get injured, but I also have some 800s in there! Whoa, long time no see!

I also think that focusing on this shorter race for a month will make the half training cycle not seem as long. Once this race is done, I have less than two months until the half! Oh, and it doesn't hurt that I've never raced a 6 miler, so this'll be an auto PR. Yay!


No comments: