Monday, June 7, 2010

I'm all googly-eyed for running lately.

Friday at work, I couldn't wait for the clock to hit 5 so I could skidaddle out of there and go for a run.  That's been my attitude lately:  when's work going to be over, I wanna run!  It's insane and I'm loving it.  On my rest days, I'm itching for a run.  Usually after a run, I'm itching for another run.  I have a fevah!  And the other prescription is more running!  Luckily for my body, I don't actually listen to my brain, but I think the new training program I semi-concocted is really helping to shake things up and get me excited about my training.

Anywho, Friday I had a 5 mile pace run to do.  I thought this would be my redemption run from my similar run from Wednesday.  After consulting my training program, I realized I actually did do Wednesday's run correctly, as it was supposed to be a tempo paced run (7:54-8:15) vs. a straight 8:15 pace like I had thought.  This run was an 8:15 paced run.  It was hot.  And humid.  And I don't usually hack hot.  Or humid.  But I'm on this crazy runner high insanity so I trotted out the door grinning regardless.

After my initial warm up mile, I kicked up the pace a bit and tried to settle in to the magical goal pace.  My Garmin was no help as it was showing 12:00 minute miles.  Thanks G!  Despite the heat, this run felt 1000x easier than Wednesday's.  And my splits were so much more consistent.  And surprisingly, my average pace was lower as well.  Figure that one out, won't you?

I did 5 miles in 41:51 for a pace of 8:23.  Race pace miles avg. = 8:02.
1. 9:37
2. 8:09
3. 7:58
4. 8:08
5. 7:56



Saturday morning I had a 12 mile long run planned.  The forecast showed thunderstorms for the morning, so I slept in.  And it was good.  Of course when I finally rolled out of bed, I realized it hadn't been storming, and that I probably should've been done with my run, because it looked like it was going to storm any minute. Oopsies!

After reading some SoDak peeps' daily mile entries from their AM runs, I gathered that it was swimming weather outside (aka 90+% humidity), so I dug out the handheld water bottle.  Waaaah.  I hate running with that stupid thing.  My arms get so tired.  (Please don't mention that running with a 12oz. water bottle shouldn't make my arms tired, and that I should implement weight training, because lifting is lame. :p)  It really didn't take much convincing since I could recall last weekend's horrific 10 mile where I thought I was going to die I was so thirsty.

I was smart, and only filled up the water bottle half way, since I knew there were water fountains every 2 - 3 1/2 miles on the trail, and I could easily refill when necessary.  Less ounces = less tired arms = happy Jeri. :)  It was definitely muggy out.  I started off the run at what felt like an easy pace.  I assumed that my legs would be tired from Friday's speed workout, and would chill because of it.  Yeah, I guess not.

I was totally doing that goofy runner grin on my run, because I forgot how much I love just running.  Yes, I adore speedwork, because I love to run fast and push myself, but there's something to be said for a long run where you can just zone out and let your legs do the work, and you don't have to focus on your pace (also you don't have to go back and edit your extreme run on sentences, because this is long run la-la land, ya know?).

There was some walk going on so the trails were packed, and it was so great to see so many families out walking together.  A couple of the middle miles were a little windy and my pace slowed down a little bit, but other than that, my pace was very consistent throughout.  The last 4 miles, the rain started to come down.  Which was awesome.  No more mugginess.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love running in the rain?  Because I do.  :)  Especially when I'm already completely soaked from sweat.  I stopped twice to refill my handheld and to take some GUs, but otherwise just trucked along loving life.  The final mile I realized I had a lot in the tank, and just decided to run hard.

I did 12 miles in 1:50:50 for a pace of 9:15.
1. 9:09
2. 9:18
3. 9:17
4. 9:18
5. 9:18
6. 9:33
7. 9:28
8. 9:14
9. 9:16
10. 9:15
11. 9:07
12. 8:37

I know this post is already monstrously long, so here are some pictures with very few words from our local celebration:  RibFest.


RibFest 2010:  Too much meat.
Love this shot of ze boys.

10 comments:

Ed said...

Dude... can I just say that you rule? Haha! I just got into blogging and reading blogs to help me with my running. Not only am I frickin pumped to run after work because of this post, but I got my day started off with a big smile and a good laugh... who's got it better than me right now? Thanks!
ps... nice Christopher Walken SNL reference. This has become my new favorite blog.

Emz said...

love the happy photos and great run numbers!

way to go!!

Mica said...

Man, I wish I were all googly-eyed for running right now. This weather is making me distinctly un-googly-eyed. But hey, I'm HAPPY for you and Running. Your summer romance makes my heart all warm and fuzzy.

And also, I like ribs. Why was I not at rib fest?

Steel Springs said...

Those are some awesome runs! I'm glad you're enjoying it so much!

Anonymous said...

So I guess marathon-recovery has been amazing over here, huh?? ;) Are you training for a race, or you just HAVE a "training" plan?? I can see that going either way, knowing how much you love your schedules. Just sayin. xo.

Julie said...

It is so great that you are googly-eyed for running:) Your runs have been kick butt! You have been able to keep up a fantastic pace in the heat and humidity!

Fun pictures too:) Take care Jeri!

X-Country2 said...

Awww, I love (and miss) that lovie feeling about running. You really do look pretty gosh darn happy all the time. :o)

Anonymous said...

Rib fest yeah? Now THAt just sounds delightful!! YUHHH-MEEE!!!

KovasP said...

Running is great, isn't it? Except when it isn't and then you want to throw it all in the can and sit around watching tv. :) Great run.

Jamie said...

Can I have some of your love of running? I can't seem to find mine. Great job on all those runs!!!