Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Getting Back to It

When I started running again in 2009, I vowed to never stop again. It was so hard to get back in to it, and I never wanted to go through that again. Enter grad school. Here I am, still trying to get back to where I was in 2010-2011. I feel live I've spent almost nine months (at times half-heartedly, or brokenly) trying to get back to where I was, and while I've made some progress--marathon in 2012 was 5:38, and in 2013 was 4:55, half in 2012 was 2:22, and in 2013 was 2:14 (on a horrifically hot day) I still have a long way to go.

Yay progress.......but boo, that's still a far cry from the 1:50-1:52 and 4:12 times that I posted in 2010-2011.

At times it seems easier to just throw in the towel and just be a casual runner.

But I'm not a casual runner. I'm a competitor. Against myself.

So I'll continue to slowly creep up my weekly mileage, and slowly push myself to creep up my speedwork paces.

My current goal for the half in five weeks (FIVE WEEKS!!) is a sub 2. And as of right now, I still have at least five weeks of work to put in to make that a reality, which is just crazy because once upon a time there were many, many 13.1 mile long runs that were done casually at a sub 2 pace. *shakes head at self*

I have two more halfs five weeks after NYC and if all goes well, I think 1:55 could be doable. Again, this will take a lot of work to make that happen, but I know I have it in my legs, I just have to work at it.  I just can't wait to get back to the times I was posting before my hiatus and start the work to finally crush those PRs. But it's pretty clear that none of the work will be easy.

And I think I'm ok with that.


2 comments:

Renee said...

Getting back into it is the hardest part about running. Knowing most of my PRs are from 2+ years ago kills me. You can do this. Unfortunately It just takes time.ànd one of these yrs when I'm not traveling to a million weddings I'll meet you somewhere for a half.

Unknown said...

You're going to do GREAT!!! Put in the work and it will all come together!