Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Weekly Reads: The Geography of You and Me

The Geography of You and Me is an ARC I received to review and wanted to read before I went to the NYC Teen Author Festival, as Jennifer E. Smith was one of the author's in attendance. I have her book Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, on my book shelf, but still haven't had a chance to read it. I loved that it was set in NYC (for the most part) since I was heading there myself for the first time.

Lucy and Owen meet, trapped in an elevator, and when they get out they spend the night together. After that special night, both their lives take them in completely different directions. They keep in contact with occasional emails and postcards from the various adventures. It was a cute, quick read, but I felt it was lacking some depth in the story and their relationships.

My rating: 3 stars.

Summary from goodreads:

Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they're rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen's relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and -- finally -- a reunion in the city where they first met.

A carefully charted map of a long-distance relationship, Jennifer E. Smith's new novel shows that the center of the world isn't necessarily a place. It can be a person, too.

No comments: