Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Weekly Reads: 100 Sideways Miles

100 Sideways Miles is the newest book by Andrew Smith. I'm somewhat convinced this man is a robot with the frequency he's churning out amazing YA books. You keep writing 'em, I'll keep devouring 'em, Andrew. Cool? Cool. This book had me laughing out loud more and cringing less than his most recent Grasshopper Jungle (a truly unique book like none I've ever read before--my review here). I loved Finn's perspective on the world, and his passage of time though distance traveled through space instead of minutes and hours on the clock. I loved the random ideas his best friend Cade had for his birthmark :|: throughout the book. Most of which made me laugh out loud (like I've already said). There are some weird/great twists and turns which I've come to expect from Smith's writing style, and overall I loved it (which you could probably gather from my over usage of the word "love" throughout this review, but whatever).

My rating: 4 stars

Summary from goodreads:

Finn Easton sees the world through miles instead of minutes. It’s how he makes sense of the world, and how he tries to convince himself that he’s a real boy and not just a character in his father’s bestselling cult-classic book. Finn has two things going for him: his best friend, the possibly-insane-but-definitely-excellent Cade Hernandez, and Julia Bishop, the first girl he’s ever loved.

Then Julia moves away, and Finn is heartbroken. Feeling restless and trapped in the book, Finn embarks on a road trip with Cade to visit their college of choice in Oklahoma. When an unexpected accident happens and the boys become unlikely heroes, they take an eye-opening detour away from everything they thought they had planned—and learn how to write their own destiny.

No comments: