Friday, July 22, 2016

Coming Out of Blog Retirement

**wipes months of dust off of my Macbook's keyboard**

Whoa.

It's been awhile. I've written a million blog posts on my head, but never got around to actually typing any of them. Shortly after Kyle and I got married, we found out that both of my parents had cancer. Whoa. Life, you're being a bitch right now. To say that my life was turned upside down and thrown against a wall would be an understatement. In the last 9 1/2 months they've both gone from very, very sick, to okay, and back and forth a few more times. Exhausting. Especially when you're a fixer and you can't do anything to fix it.

I finally started running again back in March, shortly after my mom's last stay in the hospital when I realized I wasn't taking the best care of myself. Apparently working out and eating healthy is a lot better option for you than just eating your feelings, who would've thought? (It's not as delicious of an option, to be clear.)



Somewhere in that time frame I have fallen back in love with running a little bit, in large part thanks to the running groups that I belong to. When I first started running again sometimes it was only the Wednesday night group runs at 605 Running Co. There are several weeks where I had 2.5-3 miles for my weekly mileage and they were there.

And then this spring I started joining some Sioux Falls Area Running Club folks for a weekly Thursday night trail run. LOVE. It's so beautiful out there you don't realize that you're running 12 minute miles to avoid breaking your neck/ankle/leg and fast hiking UP the hills because you have nothing like that anywhere else in town.
























I've also met so many awesome runner friends through Sioux Falls Women Run. Including some that live in my new town! (oh did I mention? Kyle and I bought a house! We live in the 'burbs now.) There's always someone inviting people on their runs, and meetups all over town to help us get our miles in.



I'm so grateful to my new found running family because the therapy I get from running really helps me be a better member of my real family, and the struggles that we're working through.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Wow sounds like things got kind of crazy (and not in a good way). Hopefully everything is settling down now! Glad to hear you are enjoying running again. I've only been back blogging for a few months as well. Also, glad to hear there are good running groups up in SF...I'm looking at moving up there :) And after 3 years of living only 1 hour away from Sioux Falls...I'm finally going to make it to the half marathon this year!

Susan said...

It's been quite a whirlwind wind for you - hopefully things have settled a little bit, and welcome back to blogland. I'll join any running group that serves popsicles...