Monday, September 17, 2018

Anxiety Over Goal Times

As the Sioux Falls half got closer, I started to get really panicky regarding my marathon goal time. It was still 6+ weeks out from marathon day, but since Sioux Falls was a goal paced run, I felt like I needed to have things for TCM finalized, to have a successful pace run. I started over-analyzing everything. I can't run sub 4, I shouldn't try to run sub 4. I should just try to run PR pace. If I attempt sub 4/sub 2 pace at Sioux Falls than everyone will know my goal, and it'll suck if I fail.

I texted Toni that I thought I should change my goal to 4:02-4:05. I had ran a bunch of different pacing strategies, and that's where I ended up each time. She responded that we'll run sub 4 if she has to throw me over her shoulder and carry me across the line. And she's strong enough. And fast enough. She would!

Somewhere during this downward spiral of doubt, I made myself stop. And think about all I *had* done.

I haven't missed a long run this training cycle.

I haven't missed a single run this training cycle.

I have stayed healthy.

I've stayed diligent with my strength training, and massage, and foam rolling.

I figured out my electrolyte issues, easing recovery and muscle soreness, allowing me to add miles more easily and lift heavier weights at POWER.

I ran my highest consecutive mileage weeks ever.

I ran my highest monthly mileage ever.

There is not one thing I've set out to do this training cycle that I haven't done.

I am as prepared as I can be to run 26.2 miles this fall. Whatever the time on the clock ends up being is representative of all the hard work, physically and mentally that I have put in over the past 2 years. And I will be proud of that time no matter what.

In past years I've set goals and have been so upset when I haven't hit those goals, but if I'm being honest with myself, many of those races I wasn't as prepared as I could've been. This go around, I can truly trust in the training and let me legs lead the way. Hopefully my mind stays just as strong when the miles get tough.

No comments: