Thursday, July 30, 2009

July in Review + Driving Miles vs. Running Miles



I survived another month of training. WHOO! That's a success in and of itself. :) This morning's easy 5 marked the last run of the month.

I downloaded some sweet new tunes to help motivate me to run, and AGAIN was upset at my iPod when it had an error message this morning and didn't update at all. I spent 90% of my run nexting through the songs because I'm sooooo sick of hearing the same crap over and over and over and over..... Guess what I did before I even stretched when I got home? Restore ordinal settings. Take that stupid iPod. That'll teach you to act up. Hopefully she stays in line from now on.

Anyway, other than the iPod frustration, the 5 miles were good. I still had some soreness in my quads, so I kept the pace easy. That is until I spotted a runner just slightly ahead of me on the trail. Somehow I managed to pick up my pace. It's official: I'm TOO competitive. Without even consciously thinking about it, I decided I wanted to pass someone during an easy recovery run.

When I glanced down at my g-man and saw 8:40 as my pace, I made myself slow down. Stupid guy. Go figure, he exited the trail before I even had a chance to catch him, so all of that was for nothing. :p Oh well, it kept me entertained at the very least.
I ran the 5 miles in 46:27 for a average pace of 9:18. At least I'm consistent in that arena. Yesterday's 5 was an average pace of 9:17. Too funny.

1. 9:42 (hey, I tried to make it an easy run to start. see. here's proof!)
2. 9:26
3. 9:18
4. 9:02
5. 8:58

July in Review:
(this is the part where I tell you how awesome I was for the month of July... :p)

Total Mileage: 130.4 My first month EVER of hitting 100 miles of training, and I greatly surpassed it!! This is an increase of 50 miles from last month. :s No wonder my legs have been tired this week. I think it's also steep since I didn't do a race this month, and I usually take a rest day or 2 before and fo sho another after.

Time spent: 18:24:28

Number of runs: 22

Average run distance: 5.9

Highest weekly mileage: 30.1

Favorite run(s): 10 mile long run with the digestive issues and the first legit 2 a day (technically the 2nd run of it)

Most Hardcore run: Hands down, death in the form of speed work.

Favorite race: None. Waah. No racing for me this month. :( Am currently scouring race postings to make sure that I have at least one fun race to do through my fall training for the Dallas White Rock 1/2. No racing makes Jeri cranky.
***************
Something interesting I noticed the other day and thought I would share. I usually put gas in my car about once a month. I drive to work, and to Taylor's, and to run errands around town, but that's about it. I always like to see how good of mileage I'm getting, so I restart my odometer at the start of the month. I usually drive about 220 miles/month, and this month is no different. But compare that to my miles ran, and I'm only 90 away!! I should really get a bike so I can bike to work some days to reduce the miles driven. How B.A. would it be to say that you run more than you drive in a month?!!?

What??!?! It's Foto Friday....well geez. :) In honor of one of my best buddies turning 25 tomorrow, here is my homage to our friendship.








I got 99 problems but a friend ain't one..

Yes, we do match in this picture. That's how we roll.



Sword fight at Fry'n Pan. Why not?


Funky camera. Homecoming.



First night I hung out with Codie. Greatest. College. Story. Ever.


Awww... <3


5 comments:

Julia said...

Awesome month of training! 130 miles is mighty impressive my friend :)
I totally get oddly competitive too, on my runs. Esp when it's a guy... I guess I get all excited to know I'm fast enough to beat a dude! haha.
What music did you download? I have been listening to my same mix for like, over a year now, but I don't know any good ones to add to the running mix. Any suggestions?

Susan said...

I'm impressed that you only drive 220 miles/month! That's one way to be green!

Looks like July was a good month for you! Awesome mileage!

J said...

Cute pictures! Great job on an awesome month of running! that is a lot of miles!

Anonymous said...

Omg, only 220 miles in a month?! I do that in a week. easily. geeeze, sad day.

cute photos!! :) and I love the negatives splits on that run. looks like just about EVERY easy run I attempt. agh, can't keep that slow pace to save my life.

find a race!! lots of small ones keep me happy :) I hear ya!

Aron said...

congrats on an amazing month!!!!