Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2010 Race Schedule

I've been so excited/focused/tunnel-visioned about the BIG EVENT (aka Green Bay Marathon) for this spring, that I've kind of neglected to think beyond May in terms of running.  Tuesday night an old college friend sent me a facebook message that I should consider running marathon #2 in 2010 as well.  Huh?  TWO marathons this year?  Well.  Why not?  Her race suggestion solved all of my fall/winter racing issues that I had been having.  I'd like to consider it the missing piece to my running puzzle.

February 6th  Frostbite 2 & 4 Mile


But let's start at the beginning shall we?  I start marathon training on February 6th (or something like that) so I figured I could do this race I've said I was going to do every year since I started running but have yet to.  The name should say it all, really.  Since the primary reason I've wussed out on doing it EVERY YEAR is because it's painfully cold in February.  Duh!  But it'll give me something to keep me motivated until marathon training starts.  And maybe everyone else in my AG will be too wussy to run, and I'll get an auto AG award.
March 13th St. Patty's Day Mile, 5k, & 5 mile


I love St. Patrick's Day.  I love green.  I love to run.  What's not to love about a race that combines ALL THREE?!?!  Answer:  Nothing.  So why not.  I've done the 5k for 2 years, and might do that or the 5 mile, depending on what fits into my schedule the best.





May 16th Cellcom Green Bay Marathon


The big kahuna.  I'm sure you're sick of hearing about it, so I won't elaborate..... too much.  I've literally been planning on doing this race as my first since I learned that the course went a lap around the inside of Lambeau Field before the finish line (circa 2004 in case you cared).  As a HUGE Packers fan, this race will truly combine my two true loves.  Be shocked if there aren't crocodile-sized tears streaming down my face when I'm finishing (FYI:  These tears may even rival the ones that were shed when Brett retired time #1, #2, #3, and when he signed with the Vikes).


June 5th Pavilion Wellness 10 mile, 10k, & 5k

I did the 5k last year and it was the race that I awarded myself with my GARMIN for PR'ing in.  Go Jerbear!  I have no clue which distance I will attempt, because I have no idea how my legs will recover after the marathon.  I'm just excited to squeeze in as many shorter races as possible this summer, because sometimes a girl just likes to run faaaaast.




June 13th Swan Lake Half Marathon
(tentative)


Again this race probably stems from my recovery from the marathon, but after looking at my schedule I was sad that I only had one HM on it.  The 1/2 is probably my new favorite distance (sorry 5k, still love YOU!).  This race is close to my hometown, and is the kick off for their small town summer festival, so it'd be fun to get another HM in.



September 12th Sioux Falls Half Marathon


Oh the race that started it all.  This will be my 7th year running my city's big race, and this will be one of the races I train hard for.  Look for a MAJA PR next fall.  (hopefully).  They are actually starting a full marathon after taking 20+ years off from doing it.  I toyed with the idea of running it, but eventually all the pieces fell into place, and I was happy that I got to stick with the 1/2.

October 3rd Twin Cities 10 Mile
(if chosen by lottery)

I also toyed with running the Twin Cities Marathon as it is on my "list" of marathons to run.  After some advice from Glenn, I realized it probably wouldn't be smart to PR in a 1/2 and then presumably PR in another marathon 3 weeks later.  Thanks for being my voice of reason.  I've always said 10 miles is my favorite training run distance, so why not do a 10 miler?  I figure I'll get the experience of the cities in the fall (I loooooove the cities, I should just move. Hmph.) and experience the huge crowds and atmosphere, but only have to run 38% of the distance.

December 6th Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon

Which brings me to marathon #2 for 2010.  I had originally wanted to do Disney World 2011 in January with Melissa , but even after an unseasonably mild winter so far (yes, we had a HUGE blizzard, but we usually have had about 4-5 major snow storms by this time of year) I realized that most major training has to be done by mid-late November.  Which makes an early December race purrrrfect.  Plus I have a feeling I could maybe get the guy to attend that one.

_________________
Sidenote.  Funny convo about the Vegas Race......
Me:  Do you wanna come with me to Vegas in December?
N:  Are you trying to trick me into something?  :)
Me:  ????  Are you referring to me tricking you into running a race with me in Vegas or me tricking you into marrying me in Vegas?  I'm guessing either option is equally terrifying.  

Later while watching The Hangover....
Me:  If we do accidentally get hitched in Vegas we should get the high roller package and get our pic on trucker hats!!!
N:  You would like the coffee mugs more.
Me:  OMG SO TRUE!

The kid knows me well, no?  :)
________________________

K back from La La Land and back to the land of running....now is the time where you tell me that you're totally signing up for the same races as me and we plan sweet meet ups (unless you're a stalker in which case I'm a black belt in karate!).  Not included in the official schedule is about 4-6 5k's in the June to August months that have yet to be solidified.  I also wouldn't mind throwing in another relay because last years was oooooh sooooooo fuuuuuuuun.

Who else is excited about 2010?!?!?!?!??

13 comments:

John said...

Forget about the racing - it sounds like Jeri's got herself a boyfriend!!

Boo-ya, girl.

:)

Oh, and the race schedule sounds great - I've heard that the R&R is a total blast, and you can't beat Vegas in December.

Anonymous said...

UHM - who is N??? ;)

This schedule kicks ass - you're totally on top of the whole "2010" thing! Short races in the summer are *key* - between heat, summer cocktails, and um..the HEAT - it's just easier to keep it short ;) and not have to worry about training! Just have fun with the races.

RnR Vegas?? That's a possible "blogger meet up" situation...that sounds FUN!

Jules said...

Yay for Vegas! :) It's an awesome marathon (location helps), but you also have some other great races on your calendar for 2010. Looks like fun!

Nicci said...

I love how you have all the races picked out!

RunToTheFinish said...

holy cow I picked 1 race for next year and I'm a little worried about that...guess that's why you are a racer and I'm just a runner :)

yeah get married in LV that would be highly amusing for the rest of us

Heather said...

I know I've said it 8 bazillion times, but you are going to LOVE Green Bay. It is awesome.

I'm thinking of doing the full at Twin Cities in October, so hopefully you get into the 10 mile and we can meet up!

Trying To Heal said...

Oh boy, I only wish I could plan my race year! the bad part of my job I suppose...

and i bet you could still run disney in january after your vegas one in december...bad weather or not. ;) (btw, reread tweet on the subject and noticed i wrote vegans instead of vegas...hahahahha!)

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

FrostBite 4! Great name for a S. Dakota run in Feb. Umm, just remember there is a reason they have the Vegas Marathon the first of December. It actually does get cold here then. Re-read my race report on this years HM. Yet, if you do it fun! I will be doing it as well again. The day before you might want to add the Santa 5k. The race is 15 min walk from the Start of the Marathon. Plus, you get your own Santa running suit to run the race in. Fun thing to walk around the Marathon Expo in after the 5K.

Wow, you found your human version of a pair of Asics Nimbus? There are more Fabulous places than Vegas to get hitched though.

Glenn Jones said...

Wow. That's a lot of racing this year. I'll be eagerly waiting for lots of race repors and lot of pictures? Who knows - maybe we'll even meet in Las Vegas?

Unknown said...

Great race calendar! I would love to run Vegas one day...how fun!!

J said...

Oh boy a relay! Sounds like fun! I wouldnt mind doing it.

Anonymous said...

yes run vegas! it is fun. esp if you can pull your significant other away from the tables and slots to come watch you run.

Aron said...

ohhhh 2010 is going to be a FUN year for you!!