Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Royal Reunion + Last Tempo Run

Monday night was a blast.  It was so great to see one of my bestest friends again.  We went out to Old Chicago to enjoy some beers and calzones, then moved on to a local sports bar to watch the Packers game on some ginormous screens, where more delicious beers were consumed.  I only work 3 days this week, might as well have a crazy Monday night, right?  The night ended great with a Packers win, and it was light's out, as Ryan had to get up crazy early to head off for his job interview.  Fingers are still crossed that he gets the offer!

Tuesday I woke up to snooooooow.  Every time I looked at my window at work it was snowing HUGE fluffy snowflakes.  There were times that the flurries were blowing so hard that I couldn't see a half of a block down the street.  Eeek.  When I left work there was a mountain of snow on top of my car.  :(  After the fender bender last week, I am really scared to drive.  I'm a wuss, I know; but I swear it starts to snow and people drive like idiots.  After sitting at home trying to beg ask for a ride to the gym, I finally sucked it up and headed there myself.  What are the odds of getting hit twice in 5 days, right?  [knock on wood.]

On the schedule I had my last tough workout.  6 miles with 4 tempo miles at 8:23 pace.  I ate waaaaaay too close to my run so I had a pretty stellar sideache through the first half of the run.  The tempo pace didn't feel as easy as last week's but after the stitch eased up, the time and miles flew by.

I did 6 miles in 52:14 for a pace of 8:43.

1. 9:28 2. 8:12 3. 8:20 4. 8:19 5. 8:18 6. 9:33

Our VP at work sent out an email with closing information for inclement weather, so fingers crossed on that one for tomorrow.  Then I won't have any excuse not to get out and take some pictures of our winter wonderland.

I'll leave you with a funny story from one of my good friends.  An old co-worker of mine and her two little boys make it to 95% of my races.  They've affectionately been dubbed Team Green.  I went over to her house to watch a movie and drink some vino on Friday night.  When she told her boys I was coming over, the oldest one (8) got really excited....
Dylan:  I'm glad Jeri's coming. I want to wrestle her.
Melissa:  Why's that?
Dylan:  Because she looks really tough, so I bet she'd be good at wrestling.

I laughed soooo hard.  I have some monster-strong legs, but I will be the first to admit that my arms are scrawny.  I just think its cute that he has it in his head that I'm tough because he's seen me do some tough races.  Just goes to show you how impressionable kids are when it comes to fitness.  It's super cool to be a role model in that way.

Drive safe in all of your Winter Wonderlands kids.  Will my snow to go away so I can make it to Omaha to fly out on Thursday.  Eeek!!

13 comments:

Steel Springs said...

Great job on those miles at pace. You were moving on that treadmill!

Good luck to Ryan. I hope he gets good news soon!

X-Country2 said...

You owned that treadmill!

Trying To Heal said...

dannnnng girl! envy sitt'n right here.

christine said...

Where do you run in the winter? At a gym all the time or still outside? What gym do you recommend?

Zoë said...

Great treadmill run!
That's so cute that an 8 year old wants to wrestle you. :) Tough chick!
Stay safe in the snow!

Anonymous said...

And I bet that 8 yr old is pretty scrappy - could be a good match! just sayin'.....

;) way to freakin' get that tempo on - 5 miles is a long time to hold that pace! What THE goal pace for the half?? You're gonna kill it, chick :)

*fingers crossed* for the job offer!

Jen Feeny said...

Way to rock that dreadmill run girly!!!

Kids always say the darndest things! LOL!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Great job on the pace! I hope that his interview goes well :-)

Unknown said...

That's so cute that the little boy things you would be a good wrestler. Post snow pics please!!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Kids are the best wrestling partners! Fun posting, but I am sorry to hear the fender bender and snow has you feeling less Independant. Not a good feeling, but eventually the snow melts, the sun will always shine and the birds will always sing again (thanks old Coke Ad). Good luck in big D and to your friend on the job hunt.

J said...

Ugg i hate people driving in snow. This morning people were pulling out in front of me the whole way to work. It was stupid! They don't realize it takes more time for me to stop now that its snowy on the roads! I seriously was yelling at them! I had bad road rage! But honestly the quality of driving has really dropped...people are so careless and always in a rush!

Jamie said...

That story is too cute! Great job on those miles!!!

Jules said...

Good luck this weekend! You are going to rock it!!