Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I guess I should buy a lotto ticket

Saturday night I headed out for my very first roller derby experience.  Random note:  I was going to try out for the local roller derby team about two years ago.  Had contacted the captains, priced skates, pads, etc. and then I found out the mandatory orientation/newbie meeting was when I was to be in Portland visting my BFFF.  I was sooooo bummed.  Luckily I got back in to running about 6 months later.  :)

Friday I won tickets to the Roller Dollz double header bout for Saturday night and I was so excited to go.  During the warm up, I started to get "the itch" again.....uh oh... I wanna be a roller doll!  Oh well, running first.  I've already decided that if I ever retire from running, I will hang up my running shoes for some skates.  The bouts were so much fun.  And intense.

Sunday I had an easy 5 miler to attend to.  My legs were sooooo not excited about this run.  I've never felt like I've "waddled" so much during a run.  Wowsers.  I putzed along and was just genuinely happy when the miles were over.  I did the 5 miles in 48:16 for an average pace of 9:40.  This run also put my weekly mileage at another new PR with 43.  Heck ya!  No wonder I've been eating like a horse.  (Wait...do horses eat ice cream?  :P)

Monday I had an easy 9 miler to take care of after work.  Before heading out, I read a couple of blogs.  I found out I won Erica's Pop Chip giveaway and was super excited, and tweeted that I should buy a lottery ticket.  When I got back Sam (P.S. I swear Sam is my office hubby's real-life gf.  She looks sooo much like her!) had responded that I sure as heck better because I ALSO won Bobbi's summer dress giveaway.  Now if you're keeping track this is 3 sweet prizes that I have won in 4 days!!  Craziness.  When I won the roller derby tickets on Friday I was ecstatic and telling all of my co-workers that I never win anything.  Um...not true anymore.  :)

Oh yeah, the run.  It wasn't very fun.  My legs were still very very fatigued/sore/you name it, they weren't loving it.  Within 2 miles in, I made a deal with them that if they could survive the run (at whatever pace they deemed necessary) we'd take Tuesday off.  They must've listened because other than the first 2 miles the rest of the run wasn't all that bad.

One part I didn't enjoy.  The bugs!  Apparently it's spring time here.  Yuck.  During the run, I had a gnat lodge itself in my eye (to stay there until I got home), roughly 10 gnats inhaled, only 4-5 were coughed up, spit out, the rest RIP, and many others snorted up my sniffling nose.  When I got home, I noticed I had a dead gnat stuck in between my front teeth.  GROSS.  I seriously almost threw up.  Also, made me pose a question, "If I were still a vegetarian, would I could this as failing?"  Vegheads?  What are your thoughts on when you inhale bugs?

I did the 9 miles in 1:25:28 for a pace of 9:30.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha!! That's too funny! Definitely not office hubby's girlfriend...unless he is stalking me and pretending I am!! :)

Jamie said...

You definitely should buy a lottery ticket!

Congrats on the new high weekly mileage! I'm sure your legs were very happy for a rest day :) They are going to love you during taper!

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is awesome that you won so many things!! I think roller derby would be awesome :)

Glenn Jones said...

Do you follow @coloradotrigirl on Twitter? She's a roller derby participant!

I have a set of clear lenses for my sunglasses for the bugs (I run close to the cean where gnas and flies are always an issue). But the good news is think about the extra protein you got for recovery!

Way to go on the miles and good job on holding back. Most people are always trying to run too hard even when their body tells them otherwise. Injury city!

Heather said...

You are a lucky girl!

I think swallowing a few gnats this time of year is inevitable, but getting them stuck in your teeth? Yuck. That would have made me puke!

Anonymous said...

New weekly mileage PR AND winnings things?! on a Rollll over here, miss J! ;) seriously. go buy the ticket....

Anonymous said...

Rollar derby doll bahaha.. that is hilarious. I can see it though, put that on your life list for sure.

I really wish you would have taken a pictures of the gnat in your teeth. Priceless!

ps. I went to Diary queen yesterday and thought of you. Did you know it's the blizzards B-day..? buy one get one for .25 cents. heck yesss! All week long!!

Anonymous said...

and by diary queen i mean dairy queen. haahahha

Unknown said...

jealoouuuus I never win anything! Booooo whaaaa ok jk. Good job on the run!

Madison said...

The gnats are out in full force. It is especially gross when you are super sweaty and run head first into a swarm of them. Very gross! I would not miss those little suckers if they just disappeared from the planet.

Also, I think that anything that "flies" into our mouth on its own free will does not count as us "eating" them. The whole thing is just gross.

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Rat City Rollers rock my world!

RunToTheFinish said...

I have been dying to go see roller derby it looks cool..but I wouldn't want to do it.

way to go prize monger!