Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sometimes you just need to eat ice cream

Thursday I had big plans to get up early to head home from Nick's to get in part of my 10 mile run before work.  Ha. Ya right.  I barely made it home with enough time to shower and get ready for work.  No problem, I would run after work and then run the remaining few miles Friday.  When I got home from work at 8, all I wanted to do was put on sweatpants and eat ice cream.



I did not want to run.  At all.  I turned to twitter, and asked for permission to skip my run.  And it twas granted.  That's twitter loves.  I decided I would give myself the night off in exchange for 5 miles Friday and 5 miles Sunday to make up the mileage.  Now I hate running the day before long runs, and I don't enjoy running the day after long runs either, so the fact that this agreement sounded much better than going for a run just proved that I truly needed the night off.

Luckily the weather was gorgeous after work and I couldn't WAIT to go for an easy 5 miler.  While digging through my t-shirt drawer for a shirt to wear, I found this gem that I had totally forgotten about.
This is my "WTF?? How could I have forgotten about this super awesome running shirt" face.  (Also, ignore the fact that I use that chair as a place to drape clean clothes over, I'm messy.)


And this is my "Channeling my nephew H-bomb's Fonzie thumbs up impression with excitement over refound sweet running shirt."  Copywrited.  Boom.

Post photo shoot, I actually decided to run.  While I was running, I realized that this was my first run under 6 miles that I've done in a long long long time.  For the record it was March 18th, when I ran 5.75 miles.  The run was great and seemed to fly by.

I did the 5 miles in 47:00 for a pace of 9:24.
1. 9:28
2. 9:24
3. 9:24
4. 9:22
5. 9:18

Being the math nerd I used to be am I was very excited that the mean, median, and mode of my splits were all 9:24.  Somehow I feel like that should be significant.  Moving on....

When I got home, I decided to whip up some culinary awesomeness for my long run fuel.  When I was visiting one of my BFFFs out in Portland a few summers back, she introduced me to Hot Lips pizza, which is literally the most delicious pizza I have ever eaten, and let's be honest, I love me some pizza.  I might even go so far as calling myself a pizza connoisseur. <---what a difficult word to spell btw.  The pizza that I haven't been able to stop thinking about since June 2008 was this asparagus/garlic number.  Since I had these key ingredients on hand I decided to whip it up.


  




Once my belly was good and fed I settled in to enjoy my replacement boyfriend for the weekend.  The good news is, Taylor Lautner is still a sexy beast, like whoa.  Mmm mmmm good.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm that ice cream be looking good!!! :)

J said...

Yum Yum! I could go for some brownies and ice cream right now! Hope that long run went well!

Jamie said...

sometimes an ice cream night is definitely needed! the food looks so good. I want to inhale those brownies!!!

Trying To Heal said...

hell yeahhhhh for the ice cream. i totally gave you permission for that.

and great under 6 mile run. i only wish i could say i hadn't run under 6 miles in a month. hah.

Anonymous said...

taking a night (or two...) off is totally acceptable! you'll lose your sanity if you don't give yourself some flexibility!

p.s. i love that you eat pizza almost as often as I do...heh. Asparagus and garlic? Yes, I'll be trying this. NOM NOM

Anonymous said...

Pizza and brownies. YUM! Top'd off with New Moon - perfect!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Looks like you had an exciting weekend :) I hope you have a wonderful week!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Ice cream ahhh (insert Homer Simpson voice here) ahhhh. I found a post long run Frosty from Wendys hits the spot a times.

Heather said...

Ice cream, pizza, and cheesecake brownies? I'm coming over to your house. :)

Anonymous said...

You are crazy! You never do short runs? I could NOT do it... I need those to keep me sane!

As for the ice cream.. I got a little carried away with the ice cream this weekend. And a little carried away with toppers pizza... and pancakes. Ugh. Training is turning me into a garbage disposal. ha! But you are right, sometimes you just gotta put your feet up and consume some goodness :)

Glenn Jones said...

Nothing wrong with skipping a few miles here and there. And, don't worry about making up the miles. Marathoning is physically tough enough - you *must* be in great mental shape too. Just don't skip your long runs! You'll be sorry if you skip too many of those.